The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

exhaust leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When the car is cold, plug up the muffler and have someone start the car while you're in front of the vehicle looking for the leak.

You can also try seafoaming the car and have someone giving it gas while you're looking for the leak.

How loud does it sound? Do you have a wideband?
Common exhaust leaks, for me anyways, is:
  • downpipe to o2 housing
  • exhaust manifold to head
It can also be where the turbos hot side connects to the o2 or even the turbo to manifold. If you do have a wideband and your numbers are fine, it's possible the bolts holding the downpipe to the rest of the exhaust or any other connecting bolts are loose/gone. Just make sure all the bolts holding the exhaust system together are nice and tight. Worse case scenario is that there's a crack somewhere.

oh i missed the soot comment, ill do that before i go get seafoam, i just really havent dug into it yet and i still have my heat shield on so i cant see until i take it apart, will keep posted

Dont seafoam... Lol
+1 baaaaaad idea to sea foam alright , i bought a bottle haven't even used it cause to many horror storeys to late to return so I just use it to clean stuff haha my brothers crank sensor went after he sea foamed his cavileir could be a coincidence but there's really no need for seam foam

Last edited:
You can easily tell when you have a leak buy the soot around were the leak is you just have to safely go under neith the car on jack stands or what ever and just look and feel I used some exaust stuff to fix mine still attached to this day

Check your flex pipe also

It might be a good idea to also clean off your exhaust system and then run it to look for fresh soot. I don't know what the roads and weather are like up in Michigan right now, but I'm sure it isn't the nicest.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back