The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Exhaust manifold holes stripped

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the drill bit depends on the tap size- and that depends on how bad the holes are.
you can also have heli-coils put in the head.

Well i did a little searching (google:rocks: ) and found a chart that helped me out alot on figuring out the sizes of taps and bits. It also had some other charts that might be usefull someday. www.imperialsupplies.com is where i got them from, hopefully it will help someone else. I don't trust any of the holes because i've had the manifold off a few times and know most of the threads are pretty crappy. The manifold was warped when the previous owner welded the wastegate flange on that #1 and #4 didn't seal and the collector flange didn't seal, i believe he just tried cranking on the bolts to get it to seal which messed up the threads. This could explain the horrible spool i've got and why i haven't been able to tune it, since these leaks are all pre o2, also needed HG. Hopefully we're good now. :thumb:

I almost forgot, once on the website go to charts you'll see them. Also if i get this thing fixed and tuned i'm going to the track this weekend Test and Tune for my first time and i'll have some video, unless i screw up then i won't let you see it.

Just an update. I drilled and tapped all the holes to 3/8 -16 and used 1 1/4 long bolts & lockwashers and this worked very well. I allmost felt a little woozy when i tried to tighten those babies up. Also had to remove the radiator to make room for the drill. All in all it was an easy fix.
Thanks

When you driled them and tapped them , did you also drilly the exhaust manifold holes bigger? I drilled and tapped the head to manifold stud holes on a mazda mx6 gt once and and I had to drill the exhaust manifold holes because if pidge toeing or something, cant remember what its called.

blackrosenova40 said:
When you driled them and tapped them , did you also drilly the exhaust manifold holes bigger? I drilled and tapped the head to manifold stud holes on a mazda mx6 gt once and and I had to drill the exhaust manifold holes because if pidge toeing or something, cant remember what its called.

Sorry about that I haven't looked at this thread for a long time. I did have to drill all the exhaust manifold holes a little bigger, i think I went to 1/2" on them but i can't remember. I know the two holes on the ends were big enough (3/8") but all the others were too small so I just drilled all the holes bigger. I don't know why the 2g manifold has different size holes.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back