The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Stripped head bolt holes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sypherzero

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2008
Marion, North_Carolina
No solid information i would find another block, and not take chances but thats just me, i learned a lot of lessons over a decade with these things.

Is it a 7bolt? If so I'd take it to the machine shop and have them drill and tap the holes for 6bolt studs. I wouldn't mess with the thread inserts personally. Also Im a ford tech the save a thread inserts for the spark plugs usually come out the next time you change the plug.

Why bore out to a 6-bolt stud when you can get them bored to 1/2in!

Last edited:
The time serts will be fine to use if installed properly, it is common on the caddy "Northstar" engine to have all the head bolt holes fixed with time serts when the heads are removed.

But going to the 12mm head studs may be more cost effective than the time serts.

I'm curious how one strips a head bolt hole anyway? It isn't like they could be started crooked or anything else. We are talking about the bolts that hold the head to the block correct?

6 bolt swap is a great idea! You have the crank for the stroker already! Might as well go for it! Just grab pistons and rods! Winning! I picked up a new 6 bolt long block for 60 bucks from a junk yard! No cracks or leaks and is golden!

Luke

The time serts will be fine to use if installed properly, it is common on the caddy "Northstar" engine to have all the head bolt holes fixed with time serts when the heads are removed.

But going to the 12mm head studs may be more cost effective than the time serts.
Aren't the OEM head bolts M12 by 1.5?

I'm curious how one strips a head bolt hole anyway? It isn't like they could be started crooked or anything else. We are talking about the bolts that hold the head to the block correct?
Exactly what I was thinking. You'd really have to do a few things wrong to strip the threads out of the block. I've honestly never even seen it happen on a 4G63 block before.

So, how about it OP? How'd you manage to do it?

Exactly what I was thinking. You'd really have to do a few things wrong to strip the threads out of the block. I've honestly never even seen it happen on a 4G63 block before.

So, how about it OP? How'd you manage to do it?
I didn't strip the bolt hole. I was trying to get the head bolt holes cleaned up one night and I must have grabbed a wrong size bolt. I'm guessing I grabbed an M12 by 1.25 instead of an M12 by 1.5, and I couldn't tighten it any, so I thought it was stripped. I'm going to order a tap to clean the threads out, what size do I need to get, M12?

First question, how does a bolt clean up a bolt hole? 2nd how far did you thread it in? Just from the description it sounds like it isn't bad. If you want to clean out the hole you need a bottom tap. You may have to start with a regular tap if you boogered it up

First question, how does a bolt clean up a bolt hole? 2nd how far did you thread it in? Just from the description it sounds like it isn't bad. If you want to clean out the hole you need a bottom tap. You may have to start with a regular tap if you boogered it up

Well, I'm not sure. I thought it would pull out anything in the threads. But I didn't get that far. I'm going to order a bottom tap and a regular tap, but I need to be sure of what size. Is in a M12x1.5?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back