The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

ECUflash EVOScan/ECUflash issues & that cliff looks nice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBeatdown

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2012
Tucson, Arizona
So.

I've spent the better part of 20 hours installing/wrangling this black box ECU. I am unable to log for more than 10-15 seconds on Evoscan, and I cannot read or write the ECU at all in ECUflash. I get two messages alternatively on ECUflash, "J2534 error [ERR_TIMEOUT]," and other times, "Sending init sequence 2," followed by the operation closing. Evoscan reports it as "J2534 Read Error - 16" before it crashes. Just so you know where I am at:

1. No, I haven't read the entire ceddymods thread. I don't have the patience.

2. I pinned the harness at pin 79, then, just for good measure, pinned it again. Pin 16 of the OBD port shows 12.6v, reflash connector shows a steady 4.8 while static, before and after the 2.5mm phono plug union.

3. I've checked all of the fuses, and wiring, especially around my brand new battery, which in turn has more than enough charge to supposedly read this ROM.

4. I have installed ECUflash 1.41, 1.42, and 1.44 along with Evoscan 2.6, 2.7, 2.9. I have done this across multiple operating systems.....Win XP, Win 7. I have the most recent definitions. I have installed the Openport 2.0 drivers through ECUflash and by using the standalone installer.

I really do not know what to do at this point, I pretty beaten right now. Hoping someone has insight. The tuning potential in itself seems great, I already have a base tune and I know my way around the ceddymods program pretty well. Now if I could just move that tune from my laptop to this ECU, I would be all good. Thanks in advance if you respond to this thread, you are my hero.

As much as this sucks to hear, it could be the ecu itself. Do you have anyone nearby that could lend you their flashable ecu to check?
Pretty much everyone I know in tucson with a modded dsm runs link. The biggest single problem I run into is the non-standardization of error messages. What I mean by that is there isn't any clear reasons why many of these error messages come up, most of the solutions on evolutionm.com are mostly composed of a few solutions as "I wiggled my wires and it started to work, I reinstalled and now it works, or I wired the connector wrong I fixed it now and it works." The problem with this is that its unclear whether the problem is on the software or hardware side of things.

Also, the non-interest by tactrix to explain and document these common problems along with support. But I guess that is why ECUflash costs half the price of dsmlink. I feel like ive done everything possible outside of replacing the ECU, so once it comes in, I will report back. Nothing is worse than finding an online entry that matches your problems perfectly but the OP never returned to the thread to clarify how they fixed it.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/evo...2534-error-will-not-read-ecu-please-help.html

This guy ended up having to use Windows XP computer and had to download some stuff, but finally that timeout error was fixed.

Another one where that issue was solved:
openecu.org • View topic - cannot download the stock rom

Have not had to deal with ECUFlash, so those are just results from searching. If they help, great! If not, maybe someone else will have a solution.
The first link you posted I looked at, but the OP Blaze never found a solution he posted. The solution you referred to was posted by another member. Nonetheless, I tried switching to XP and reinstalling, didn't work. The second link was posted by a guy with a Subaru :confused:

Can you get it to casa grande? I've got a flashable to test as well as my known working 2.0 that I use to flash with.

I wish I could get it there. ECU is now confirmed as not the problem, the new one I bought off a member here has the same response as my first ECU. I'm going to try a new computer, redo the whole process. I've tried every possible combination of definitions and roms, and did everything twice. Will update this when I finally find a solution.

It's not a ROM or definition issue. You can still connect. It's a driver issue. Did you download them directly?

I tried both ways, seems as if people say to install the drivers with ecuflash rather than downloading the drivers separate. Even tactrix recommends that on their download page. Even, so I gave it a go both ways.

I can't even read my ecu, so i've played around with it, I get this error message when the reflash cable is plugged in:

J2534 error [ERR_TIMEOUT].

When the reflash cable is not plugged in:

sending init sequence 2
interface close

Not sure if any of this is indicative of anything. I've tried so much shit to get this running LOL. :barf:

I tried both ways, seems as if people say to install the drivers with ecuflash rather than downloading the drivers separate. Even tactrix recommends that on their download page. Even, so I gave it a go both ways.

I can't even read my ecu, so i've played around with it, I get this error message when the reflash cable is plugged in:

J2534 error [ERR_TIMEOUT].

When the reflash cable is not plugged in:

sending init sequence 2
interface close

Not sure if any of this is indicative of anything. I've tried so much shit to get this running LOL. :barf:

You need the reflash to read/write so ignore your second errors. It's definitely a driver error. Is your cable a USB or is it still a COM port? I had to switch mine to USB the first time I installed it all because it somehow downloaded as a COM.

You need the reflash to read/write so ignore your second errors. It's definitely a driver error. Is your cable a USB or is it still a COM port? I had to switch mine to USB the first time I installed it all because it somehow downloaded as a COM.
Mine is USB, it is recognized in the lower right corner of the ECUflash screen. I know this is pretty obvious, but 12.5v on the battery IS enough to read a ROM? Or maybe that is my problem. I think id pitch a fit if my problem was a partially charged battery.

This error has been attributed to bad pins on the obd II harness, so im going to re-pin the 12v pins where the OP 2.0 plugs in. If nothing else, insurance.

Mine is USB, it is recognized in the lower right corner of the ECUflash screen. I know this is pretty obvious, but 12.5v on the battery IS enough to read a ROM? Or maybe that is my problem. I think id pitch a fit if my problem was a partially charged battery.

This error has been attributed to bad pins on the obd II harness, so im going to re-pin the 12v pins where the OP 2.0 plugs in. If nothing else, insurance.

Anything over 12v is enough. Yea Ecuflash "says" it's USB, but is it being recognized by your computer as USB? You need to look in your device manager and make sure no driver is being issued as a COM port.

Anything over 12v is enough. Yea Ecuflash "says" it's USB, but is it being recognized by your computer as USB? You need to look in your device manager and make sure no driver is being issued as a COM port.
Tracked it down on the device manager, it is being issued as COM3. How can i rectify this? I have perused the different tabs, I cant find one to change the port assignment.

I just wanted to bring some resolution to this thread. The problems were being caused by a faulty reflash connector. Michael from tactrix sent me a new one and it works flawlessly now. The "sending init sequence 2" followed by the timeout error is caused by the reflash pin not getting the spike of 17v voltage from the openport 2.0. The sleeve was not transferring power from the phono pin to the ECU pin. Got the new reflash connector on there and I can read and write to the ECU with no problems.

please help me figure out hoe to hook up the pin i am having the same problem

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back