The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

EVO MAS IN 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pics, as promised.

The Evo MAS is on the left in all the photos, the 3G MAS is on the right. They're visually identical until the last photo....then you'll see the difference. Hopefully this will save alot of 3G MAS's getting sold as Evo MAS's if the buyer is well-educated.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So im just going to get the adaptor that plugs into the evo mas then splice into my 1g harness right?

Some info recently passed on to me by a colleague who's a little more informed in the different types of 3G-style MAS's than me:

The MAS you have pictured is NOT the good #482 MAS from the Eclipse GTS or Montero 3.5 liter. It is probably the #501 MAS, which is from lower HP applications, and is much more common. As you have noted, the airhorn is MUCH smaller, restricting the flow, and causing the MAS to output a much higher Hz per liter signal. However, several years ago I pioneered the idea of removing the airhorn, and creating a new, smaller airhorn out of epoxy, which makes it flow exactly the same as the #482 or EVO MAS.

According to Mitsubishi proprietary documentation I have, the #482 MAS (full part numbers MD336482 and E5T08071) flow EXACTLY the same Hz per liter of airflow as an EVO MAS. Whether they are as accurate as an EVO MAS or built to the same tolerances, who can tell. There must be some difference, as they are a different part number, just as the 3000GT VR-4 MAS looks and flows the same as the 2G #609 MAS, but has a different part number.

The #482 MAS actually makes a very nice upgrade, as it appears to outflow a 2G MAS, and it is the same 3 1/8" round diameter as a 1G MAS, making the swap very easy. I actually sell a kit of the #482 MAS and a 3G-to-1G harness adapter that makes it plug-n-play. I have dozens of customers running this MAS, and they are all quite happy with it.

Jeff O.
dsmchips.com

can the evo mas be used in blow through?
If it were possible, you'd have to buy a 3" filter adapter and screw it to the "inlet" side of the sensor, being sure that it is PERFECTLY sealed to prevent a possible boost leak.

To me it sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

I have a 3G maf and have removed the black plastic 'shroud' entirely from in front of the honeycomb. All I needed to do was apply silicone to the edges of the honeycomb to get it to stay on the MAF. It probably outflows the EVO maf some.

why do you say it out flows the evo mas?

Because Jeff from Dsm chips said so:D

Please Read my friend

The MAS you have pictured is NOT the good #482 MAS from the Eclipse GTS or Montero 3.5 liter. It is probably the #501 MAS, which is from lower HP applications, and is much more common. As you have noted, the airhorn is MUCH smaller, restricting the flow, and causing the MAS to output a much higher Hz per liter signal. However, several years ago I pioneered the idea of removing the airhorn, and creating a new, smaller airhorn out of epoxy, which makes it flow exactly the same as the #482 or EVO MAS.

According to Mitsubishi proprietary documentation I have, the #482 MAS (full part numbers MD336482 and E5T08071) flow EXACTLY the same Hz per liter of airflow as an EVO MAS. Whether they are as accurate as an EVO MAS or built to the same tolerances, who can tell. There must be some difference, as they are a different part number, just as the 3000GT VR-4 MAS looks and flows the same as the 2G #609 MAS, but has a different part number.

The #482 MAS actually makes a very nice upgrade, as it appears to outflow a 2G MAS, and it is the same 3 1/8" round diameter as a 1G MAS, making the swap very easy. I actually sell a kit of the #482 MAS and a 3G-to-1G harness adapter that makes it plug-n-play. I have dozens of customers running this MAS, and they are all quite happy with it.

Jeff O.
dsmchips.com

The #482 MAS actually makes a very nice upgrade, as it appears to outflow a 2G MAS, and it is the same 3 1/8" round diameter as a 1G MAS, making the swap very easy.

I would agree that the EVO/3G MAS will slightly outflow a 2G MAS. Forget the fact that the 2G's O.D. is 4" oval versus 3" round. Take a look down inside both of them side by side and you'll see that the EVO design is more efficient and there's more physical area for the air to flow through.

We ran an EVO MAS for awhile, saw about 62 lb/min on it, never reached a point where the airflow flatlined or started to look choppy. The biggest problem we had was stalling on decel, not specifically an issue due to the MAF itself, more just the nature of a draw-thru setup with a big turbo that some people seem to experience. We ended up switching to a MAFT setup (reluctantly), but I'd still recommend the EVO MAF to most of the people out there.

I have a 3G maf and have removed the black plastic 'shroud' entirely from in front of the honeycomb. All I needed to do was apply silicone to the edges of the honeycomb to get it to stay on the MAF. It probably outflows the EVO maf some.

I was just wondering why 2DSMS thought it did?

My car was running a little lean in the upper powerband with the 3G MAF's plastic airhorn removed. The reason I know this is that eprom chip that I have has a compensation curve for the EVO 8 MAF not the 3G. If you remove the the airhorn from the EVO 8 maf it'll flow the same as a 3G MAF with the airhorn removed. Physically they're identical (as the previous photos show) except for the part # and size of their airhorn.

I know I'm a little late here, but just wanted to add this for clarity's sake.

When installing the EVO 8/9 MAS into the 2G, you will need to purchase a 3 inch-to-4 inch coupler reducer. Luckily, our friends over at ExtremePSI offer these here. As most of us know, the outlet of the 2G MAS is oval-shaped. The EVO's MAS outlet, however, is a nice 3 inch circle, as you can see with Justin's photos.

I hope to take some extra photos in the near future to illustrate this point.

Another option is to buy a different intake pipe to match up to the EVO MAS. If you're willing to try, the EVO intake pipe should be no problem, as long as all the corresponding recirculation openings are available as well. But this option is usually more open to people who don't already have an aftermarket pipe to begin with. No need to go waste money, unless you're into that sort of thing. To each his own, I guess. :|

Here are the pix I said I would post up.

The first three pictures have the 2G MAS on the left and the Evo 8 MAS on the right.

Evo 8 plug on top, 2G on bottom

Evo 8 plug on top, 2G on bottom

These next two show the 2G on the left and Evo8 on the right with the 2G's filter adapter on the Evo MAS. Fits just great, so no worries there. BTW, this particular adapter came from Extreme PSI (part number 19148). If you notice in the description of the part, it says it fits both the 2Gs and the Evo 8/9s. So there ya go.

And some more of the same.

2G on top, Evo on bottom

2G on left, Evo on right

2G on top, Evo on bottom

Thanks for the pictures. I like the smaller size and round opening of the Evo mas. I always wondered if the 2g filter adapter would work with the Evo mas.

This is sad for FIPK owners.
Anthony, have you done any testing yet?

Also, I've read that the 3g mas is identical. I've not seen one in person though, but I can already imagine that it, too, is of round shape and not the 2g oval.
All of a sudden that K&N investment wasn't such a great idea.

This is sad for FIPK owners.
Anthony, have you done any testing yet?

What kind of testing do you mean? I did just post up this info, if that helps.

PieEyedPiper said:
Also, I've read that the 3g mas is identical. I've not seen one in person though, but I can already imagine that it, too, is of round shape and not the 2g oval.
All of a sudden that K&N investment wasn't such a great idea.

You do realize Justin posted up pix of the Evo 8 and 3G MASs in this very thread, right?

As far as using the FIPK kit, I always remember this post from Jim (FORMONTOYA).

What kind of testing do you mean? I did just post up this info, if that helps.

It certainly helps, but I am looking forward to a log.
I'm glad you were able to just drop them in and go without issue. Equally impressive is how well it seems to be working for you.

You do realize Justin posted up pix of the Evo 8 and 3G MASs in this very thread, right?

Doh! Reading owns me. I thought that was from the Montero for some reason.

As far as using the FIPK kit, I always remember this post from Jim (FORMONTOYA).

That's an interesting thought on the topic, but I can't say I'm 100% convinced. My interest in the FIPK is simply that it is CARB legal, and comes with the sticker. That's why I spent $120 on the damned thing.

I know you were hinting that I might think about just ditching it for a 3" setup, and I may have to, but otherwise mine works great. I can't think of many instances that my fans are really on while driving anyhow.

Anyways, thanks for the info and reminding me to clean my eyeballs:thumb:

PieEyedPiper said:
Anyways, thanks for the info and reminding me to clean my eyeballs:thumb:

As far as fitment is concerned, if the adapter works on the 2G MAS, it will work on the Evo 8 MAS. ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back