The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Evo III Engine / Supporting Mods /Tune

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjw205

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2006
Syracuse, New_York
I'm swapping in an Evo III motor (bought the car as a shell, i know the Evo III motor is nothing "special", got a good deal) into my 97 GST. Besides all of the CAS stuff, EGR, and MDP stuff, what will I need to make this run properly? It has the yellow top 510cc injectors and obviously the Evo III 16g. Will my ECU be able to adjust to this? If not what will I need? I know I will need a Wally 190.

Yes, I've searched (for days). Every post has different answers and I'm more confused than ever...:ohdamn:

I'm swapping in an Evo III motor (bought the car as a shell, i know the Evo III motor is nothing "special", got a good deal) into my 97 GST. Besides all of the CAS stuff, EGR, and MDP stuff, what will I need to make this run properly? It has the yellow top 510cc injectors and obviously the Evo III 16g. Will my ECU be able to adjust to this? If not what will I need? I know I will need a Wally 190.

Yes, I've searched (for days). Every post has different answers and I'm more confused than ever...:ohdamn:

You need all the normal 6 bolt swap modifications, then you need a fuel controller (SAFC) or Ecmlink would be a better option budget depending.

if you want to use the 510s right away you need to tune for them, I'd suggest swapping in you 450s at least for the initial setup so you can get everything running right from the 6 bolt swap

Wow, thanks for the quick replys guys. I'm leaning towards SAFC-2, I'm probably not going to upgrade past the E316G anytime soon. But for now, would the turbo run ok with the stock 450's? The car came with a boost gauge, so at least I can monitor it. I think the stock Evo III spring is around 14-15psi.

I didn't get the ECU with the motor, so that's not an option for me. But I'm rewiring for the 93-94 Black top CAS, will the ECU work fine with that? I read something about setting the base timing, is that only with a standalone?

My budget isn't super cheap, but I don't want to spend a lot as I recently bought a house. I have 2 other DD's so time isn't an issue either.

A seperate issue, I can't seem to find any GST downpipes that allows room for the stock cat. They all seem to take place of the cat, which I can't have in NY.

Thanks again guys!! :hellyeah:

You set the base timing with a timing gun hooked up to your #1 spark plug, you adjust the cam angle sensor and the markings are on the timing cover.

450's will work for a 16g for now. Buy a fuel pump before you buy safc.

450cc injectors until you get a tuning device and logger. E316g wastegate opens at around 10-12psi and I would say to keep it there until you get the larger injectors dropped in but if you wanted to you can bump it up to around 14psi and be "safe". Larger fuel pump will be needed too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back