The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

EVO 8 recaro seats in a 2g: the question/soon to be tech article

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRS95TSI

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2004
louisville, Kentucky
i have read all of the threads that deal with installing evo 8 recaros into a 1g/2g. unfortunately most of the helpful ones, the members are no longer active on this website, questions were never answered and/or pictures were removed from the thread.

i would like to clear some of the questions up about installing these seats and provide other members with a guide on how to make custom brackets and how to install them correctly into a 2g. (provided i get them this coming weekend :sneaky:)

Questions: (for those who have already done it or are sure of the correct answer)
1. if i remove the seatbelt assembly on my stock 2g seats and the evo 8 seatbelt assembly, will i be able to directly swap my 2g seatbelt assembly onto the evo 8 recaros?

like i said before, i should have these seats by this weekend and will add pictures and a tech guide on how to install these including pictures and dimensions of the seat bracket using autocad/solidedge if possible.

PLEASE ONLY POST IF YOU KNOW AND ARE SURE OF THE CORRECT ANSWER...other threads have been cluttered with false answers.

I agree.

Searches on this topic have yielded nothing but boring inconclusive reading.

I just got a set of Evo IX Recaros that I will be putting in my 2G, and wanted to know the exact same thing.

The seatbelt assembly should be able to swap over, as the recaro sliders have a provision on them for the seatbelt buckle to bolt on to. I am not sure if the thread pitch is the same yet, as I have not checked that.
As for mounting the Recaros in the 2G.......will it work?

Short answer? : NO you need custom brackets

The sliders on the Recaros are 15 7/8ths wide from the center of each bolt hole
The 2G sliders are ~17.5" making the 2G sliders farther apart than the Recaros.
As a result the feet on the 2G will not simply swap over to the Recaros.

Short of making brackets yourself, there are very little options on the web, but a lot of aftermarket seat makers suggest Wedge Engineering.
I contacted Wedge with my needs, and was assured that they had exactly what I need to get the Recaros into my 2G.

I have to wait 3 weeks or so for the brackets to be made, powdercoated and shipped to me.
Wendell at Wedge also told me that they make a mounting point on their brackets for the seatbelt, so it sounds like you will have two choices in terms of where to mount the seatbelt assembly (on the recaro slider, or the Wedge bracket)

I have heard mixed reviews in regards to how well the Wedge brackets actually work (fitment, etc) so once I have a solid answer, I too will post a detailed tell all in the interest of helping those who wish to pursue this mod.

Okay.

Well, it was an adventure, but I did in fact get my Recaros in to my 2G with little to no difficulty.
Step 1: Get the seats :)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As mentioned, you need to get custom brackets made in order to make the install pain free.
My seats came with the sliders attached which made mounting very easy.
I highly advise, when shopping for these seats, to get them with the sliders attached.
I can't imagine why they would be had otherwise, but sometimes it happens.

Upon giving the appropriate measurements to Wendell at Wedge Engineering, you just have to wait for them to be manufactured. They have an option to pay a little more and get a rush on them, which is what I did, and I had the hardware in about 2 weeks.

The brackets are made up of a floor frame, and a set of "c" shaped rails that attach to your sliders, and then bolt to the floor frame. This "C" frame has got 3 different height holes in it, so you can position your seat height to your liking.

The main floor frames bolt right in to the OEM mounting holes, and the resulting seat/C frame combo fits on to the frame.......done and done.

IF HOWEVER, you are 5'11" or taller, you will find that the C frame brackets make the recaros sit too high, even at the lowest mounting point.
In my case, I had the Recaros welded via the sliders right to the main floor frame, thus allowing the whole seat to sit ~.6" lower.
I then painted the welds, and dropped the seats into the car, simple as that:

Because I had the seats welded right to the main frame, the c brackets were eliminated. However, there are mounting holes in the main frame cross member that would have been where the C frames would attach to.
These holes provided the guide for where to put the tack welds (simply lining them up with the holes in the factory sliders)

I should also note that because the my seats sit lower than the original frame design, I had to cut the front cross member of the main seat frame to allow clearance for the slider release bar.

All of this cutting and welding is only necessary if you are 6' or taller in order to achieve a good, comfortable fit. If you are shorter, then all of the hardware that comes with the wedge kit will bolt right up to your new seats (providing you gave them the correct dimensions of the slider to bracket holes) and then you just put them in your car.

The wedge brackets also come with the appropriate size mounting hole for your seat belt, thus adding to the ease of install.

it would really benefit this thread if you could unbolt the entire assembly from the floor and take a picture of the underside of your seat, that way we can take a look at the actual mounting assembly.

please?!

it would really benefit this thread if you could unbolt the entire assembly from the floor and take a picture of the underside of your seat, that way we can take a look at the actual mounting assembly.

please?!

Will do.

I apologize, I meant to take pics every step of the way during the install, but after all the back and forth test fitting, and the final conclusion that I needed some additional weld work, I got frustrated and just wanted the seats IN.

I will get some pics in very soon.

After all was done, I have to say that they now sit pretty much where my stock seats sat.
I have about .3" of head room if I put my head all the way back against the seat.
It takes some adjusting to get the seat right where you want it, but you only have the recline and slider adjustments to deal with.

The seat backs are definitely thicker than the stock ones, in that in the current position, the recaros are pressed against my back seat, whereas the stock seats had some clearance.
I still couldn't comfortably fit anyone in the back seat when I had my stock seats (not that I had very many passsengers, if any)
However, now with the Recaros, the back seat is completely useless as a seat.

Again, this all depends on your bodily proportions.
I have long legs, so I need the seat to be back quite a bit.

here are some pics that will hopefully clarify the modifications I made to the brackets.

Hope this helps!

are those the brackets that come with the evo seats cause im getting those seats but wasnt sure if they bolted right up iwas going to try to use the gsx rail n just swap them over

Im also in need of some more details, I just bought a set of Evo IX Recaro's and theyre just sitting in my room. I wanna install these! Id love to see the layout of the bracket you have used/ made...maybe just a quick "microsoft paint" sketch with some dimensions, that'd help a bunch.

I believe the OP of this thread sold his car a few months ago, but Im not sure. Ill try to contact him and get this thread going again. Hopefully he can help us out!

Those seats are the sex !!! Wish i can get ahold of a pair of these.

...not to get off topic, but i have always been curious on what eclipse side skirts would look like on a 2gb talon...do you have any full pics showing what you have??

can i see more pics of the rc car!!! I always wanted a mini talon.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back