The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

engine..what would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
I have a couple options in front of me for my gvr4. Motor needs a rebuild, rings are gone and one ringland broke. The cylinders will have to be bored, hot tanked, decked probably align honed. Compelete rebuild kit plus time and tools. I'd have the head rebuilt. Would love to build it up tobhold higher revs.

Option two is a fully rebuilt motor with npr pistons bored .020 over hot tanked align bored ect. A built head with fp2 cams, bc springs, 5 angle valve job, viton valve steam seals with around 10k on it and the shortblock. The guy is selling in here on the classifieds, says he's rebuilt 7 without any come backs. This was his personal motor but is getting out of dsms. Hes selling it for 1000 which seems like a good deal?

To me it seems to be a better idea to get the already built/rebuilt motor and use mine to build a stroker project. I would be putting a lot of trust in the person I'm buying it from that I won't have premature carstrophic failure. Would yall put that kind of trust in someone? It seems like if its lasted 10k its probably a good rebuild, I hate to bring age into it because it probably doesn't matter but he's only 21.

I just know if I decide to rebuild, ill end up spending more then a grand and probably still not get what kind of motor he's selling

Thanks for any opinions!

either one COULD experience failure, but if you're not experienced with building motors, i'd pick up his built motor. it's lasted 10K so it's at least decent.

and age doesn't really factor in, unless he's like 14...haha...21 is plenty of time to build up good experience.

It sounds like your better option is to get the one that is ready to go. What is his feedback like on his profile? I would take that into consideration. I don't blame you for mentioning his age but if he has had 7 built and not one has come back, it sounds like he knows what he is doing. Age doesn't really play too huge of a factor; I built my motor when I was a freshman in college so that was when I was 19 and it's still running great. (I'm 23 now) Ask to see compression numbers too.

You can always ask for a small warranty. Maybe a 5,000 mile warranty and have a document signed stating that if it doesn't last this long, then he would take care of it. Ask for a video of it running maybe?

It also depends on your time frame. Is this a daily driver? If so, I would definitely go with an at least already running motor. It will save so much time and so many headaches (at least if the new motor is a good running motor).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back