1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Engine stalls while hot

Posted by DAN RUSE, Jun 24, 2019

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. DAN RUSE

DAN RUSE Probationary Member

Joined Jun 24, 2019
    BUCHAREST, Europe
    Hello everybody,
    I need an opinion on what might be the issue with my 1997 Eclipse GS...The engine starts just fine, runs evenly with no hesitations or any other problem...until it get warmed up...then, if i turn it off and start it again, in 4 - 5 seconds it dies...and so on...last time, i had to wait for it to cool down (at the gas station :banghead: ) for about 45 minute...
    ...what i did so far was to check and clean up the MAF sensor, changed the temperature sensor, changed the spark plugs wiring, bought the crankshaft position sensor but not yet replaced it)...did not put it on any tester yet...

Any clue on what to check for?

Thank you

Street Build 209  4

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    i just noticed your in Europe. So you have the non-turbo 4g63, right?

upload_2019-6-24_8-4-32.png
    upload_2019-6-24_8-5-17.png

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  3. Lou98GSX

Lou98GSX Proven Member

Joined Mar 13, 2004
    Carmel, New York
    there is a fillip screw on the top of the throttle body it may have a black plug . take the plug out and back off the screw a quarter of a turn and see what happens.

4. DAN RUSE

DAN RUSE Probationary Member

Joined Jun 24, 2019
    BUCHAREST, Europe
    Hi there,

Thanks for the reply...yup, the engine is a non turbo version...I've got the manual, i did found the page you posted here and i am planning to have the car tested soon at an authorised workshop that will , hopefully have the sofware - never did it before - the check engine lamp in the board does not remain on, it only came on just before the engine stalls and thats it...i was hoping someone did encounter this in the past and could provide me with an answer coming from their own experience...nevertheless, thank you for your time...I will keep you posted on what happened...

Dan

Street Build 209  4

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. Lou98GSX

Lou98GSX Proven Member

Joined Mar 13, 2004
    Carmel, New York
    you have the chrysler none turbo motor that is a different set up

6. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    The Euro spec non-turbo eclipse came with a 4g63

nt4g63_1.jpg nt4g63_2.jpg nt4g63_3.jpg nt4g63_4.jpg

7. Lou98GSX

Lou98GSX Proven Member

Joined Mar 13, 2004
    Carmel, New York
    ok so you probably have that screw on the throttle body that you can adjust.