The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Engine Rebuild or New engine??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talonman86096

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 22, 2006
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Ok so I'm looking for some guidance and I'm torn between a couple different options so I thought I would ask some of you guys what your opinion would be. So I've been looking into completely redoing my engine, I know mine is still working enough to get me by but I'm the type of person who always plans ahead and I know my motor isn't going to last forever and right now the time is right for me to just go ahead and do it so I don't have to worry about it anymore and know I'll have something reliable. So I'm trying to figure out what would be my best option, I currently have a Big T28 turbo on the car now and want to keep that. Should I just do the straight rebuild kit? Slowboy Racing, Inc. :: DSM :: Engine :: Rebuild Kits :: Top Line :: Topline DSM Short Block Rebuild Kit

Or should I look into just buying a whole new engine such as the ones shown on FFWD Connection? I know that route is going to cost much more money but in the long run if it would be better than id like to go that way. But I want something that will allow me to get the most bang for my buck with the T28 turbo and i know i wont be getting to the 400hp stage with that turbo but id like to have something that i know could support at least 400hp if i decide to upgrade the turbo at sometime.

Like I said I'm just looking for some opinions on what you think and if I'm just talking like an idiot just let me know haha Ive had my car for about 5 years now and even though I know much more about it now than I did 5 years ago I still consider myself a newbie and so does this site ha...Any opinions would be great. Thanks!

With the proper tune, stock blocks can handle 400hp no problem.

If you know what you are doing, I would recommend an engine rebuild (or rebuild a 6-bolt) 100%. I trust my work better than I trust others, so I know everything is done 100% to spec...plus it's an excellent learning process and you have a bigger sence of pride when you are done.

If you want to beef it up, you can build yourself a Eagle/Wiseco block for WAY cheaper than you can buy one.

So if i decide to go with a 6bolt how difficult is it to convert my current 7bolt to a 6bolt? Or do you suggest I purchase a whole new 6bolt motor already built or find one and repair it? I havnt done anything major like this before but I want to lean and i figure the best way to do that is to just dig in and get my hands dirty, with some guidance from the best of best on here. Thanks Guys!

just go buy a talon, eclipse, or laser with a 6bolt i usually find the whole car cheaper then just the motor plus you can part out the car for some xtra money

Yep, like that one. The only thing that scares me about that is that he said it spun a rod bearing. Depending on how severe it is, expect some crankshaft damage that might require grinding the crank (remember, the FSM states our cranks cannot be reground). Some people have had good luck with undercut cranks, others have not; YMMV.

The key to either build or buy would be...

1. Your experience or ability to have someone on hand with experience while the build process is going on.
2. Space...do you have it.
3. Tools, or access to tools (lift, stand, hand tools-not just a 50pc Craftsman and a couple of jack-stands).
4. Time.

If you have all 4, then build your own is the way to go (cheaper as well). 6 bolt builds are highly overrated (mainly due to the fear of CW). A 6 or 7 bolt will make 400WHP without issues as long as you know how to tune.

If you end up rebuilding, check out PartsDinosaur. From my research they are a good source for a rebuild kit. You can't beat the prices. I plan on using them in the near future.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back