The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Engine Break in..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1g8420a

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 19, 2011
Fort Riley, Kansas
I got an engine being built and I wanted to see some opinions on how you all would break in the engine.. Also What oil would you use for the initial break in period. I bought just regular Mobil 5w 30 conventional and got some Lucas Oil Break in Additive would anyone recommend that usage? I read on the back of the Lucas bottle that it says may cause catalytic converter damage on "post 1994' vehicles.

I wouldn't even use the lucas stuff. I would run brad penn break in oil for 1000 or so miles. Change it then run brad penn normal oil or break in oil again for 3000 miles then change and run brad penn oil or whatever oil you like to run. Don't drive the car too light or too hard. As for the weight it depends on what type of weather you live in and what type of engine it is.

I second the brad penn break in oil. And brad penn in general. Only thing is, you can't run it in a car with a catalytic converter. But if you don't have emissions just delete the cat/hog it out/whatever because that oil is some good stuff.

You don't need to idle the car/hold it at xx rpm/baby it or any of that BS. Just drive it and check for leaks/overheating/etc. Change the oil/FILTER after 100miles or less since the rings are breaking in.

Yeah I would change the oil at about 100 miles then run fresh oil and filter for another 500-800 miles then change it again and run what ever you like.

Ok So I am returning the Lucas Break in additive.. What do you recommend since I live in CA and we have some of the harshest smog laws. As far as what oil that I should use that would be more beneficial for my Catalytic Converter..? thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back