The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

electrical issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirk3

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
pleasant hill, California
I just had some work done on my car. My J pipe to the turbo was leaking a lot of oil. So now its all fixed, but I'm having a weird problem with my electrical. The accessory doesnt work at all. No radio No lights, but the cigarette lighter works. When I start the car everything seems to be normal lights work, radio works. However I have a volt meter hooked up and its jumping around 14.5 to 15.5, I just replaced the altenator and the meter had a stable reading of 14.7 or so. It did'nt jump around... I checked all the fuses and they are not blown. My mechanic said all he did was disconnect the battery to work on the car. Which I knew because the clock needed to be reset. But says he did'nt disconnect any thing else. Any ideas on this one?. Im out of ideas...

I think he means when you turn the key into the accesory position.

moliver said:
I think he means when you turn the key into the accesory position.
if this is true then you might have a bad ignition switch in the accesory position

Alternator is not charging battery. Battery went dead and car broke down. Cigarette lighter works in the accessory position. also the seat belts don't retract unless car is running. Radio clock stops functioning when the keys are in the off positon.

dirk3 said:
Alternator is not charging battery. Battery went dead and car broke down. Cigarette lighter works in the accessory position. also the seat belts don't retract unless car is running. Radio clock stops functioning when the keys are in the off positon.
Well if he disconnected the battery ck all of your conections at batt and at alternater

Im having about the same problem but nothing works for me now... just replaced the alternator and the car starts right up and runs strong but the brake lights, head lights, turn signals, interior lights, or anything like that work... the reverse lights work though so my friend says... i checked every fuse i knew of and they were all good... i have no idea what is wrong. anyone?

OneSloTal said:
Im having about the same problem but nothing works for me now... just replaced the alternator and the car starts right up and runs strong but the brake lights, head lights, turn signals, interior lights, or anything like that work... the reverse lights work though so my friend says... i checked every fuse i knew of and they were all good... i have no idea what is wrong. anyone?

Check the 80A fuse adjacent to the battery. Mine partially blew once and I'd get intermittant power to the same accessories. Can test it by building a jumper wire (wire with a crimp on spade on each end).

Problem solved. It was the alt. fuse. Somehow blew when he was hooking back up the power supply..ie battery.... Thanks everyone for your help, I really do appreciate you guys taking the time to help out...

Eric

I will try that as soon as I get a chance and update you...
this isnt the only problem though... i have been having this problem since i bought the car (still not inspected and tagged) when i bought it the seatbelts, windows, and windsheild wipers wouldnt work unless the car was running... anyone have any ideas or is it still possibly the fuse adjacent to the battery?

Yes I do mean the 80 amp fuse.. This was the issue for me...

With no headlights, interior lights, turn signals or rear lights...That is the fuse in the engine compartment, next to the battery, however its the 10 amp one. If thats not it, then my money's on the Relay labeled "Tail". Replace both, and i'm 90% sure thats your problem

ok i will check them out tomorrow morning... what does the relay that says tail control. Thanks for the help and ill keep trying stuff as long as you all keep telling me... im prolly gonna take it to a mechanic tomorrow morning and give him 130 just to tell me whats wrong because he has to charge me for 2 hrs of labor :( LOL oh well

OK WELL IM AN IDIOT! LOL please read as I will explain why...

The Fuse was blown and replacing it did work... you guys were right! My heros! LOL
When I put the new one in i think i partially blew it because the car ran but nothing worked at all... so i replaced it w/ another one that i had gotten (bought 2 just incase ;-)) and there we go, everything works! everything works better than when i bought the car :D Thanks to everyone who helped and to dirk3 for starting this thread ;-)

One more problem... my turn signals dont work, hazards dont work either so i dont think its the turn signal switch... i checked the interior fuse and it isnt blown... or it doesnt look like it is but i said that about the alternator one ;-) ... is there an engine compartment fuse or a relay i should change?

Thanks again everyone.

Well, again I have proven to myself that reading and searching fixes everything! LOL sorry for all the wasted posts but I just want to make sure everyone knows what fixed my problems...

The turn signals didnt work because the hazzard switch was un-plugged (the guy that owned it before me had it stripped to drag race LOL) so i plugged it back in and boom, they work...

now I just have to find out why my Anti Lock warning light is on :p
Again, thanks everyone.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back