The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMtuning - Spooling but not accelerating

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insaneturtle

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2011
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
I recently bought a car which had ecmlink ecu in it, and he had told me he adjusted the settings and such, and i cant figure out what setting my problem would be under, when im in gear, 2nd or higher, and i step on the pedal, the car doesnt give any gas, but it seems like the turbo spools up, and then it grabs really hard but rockets up to high rpms, nd i thought it was the anti lag but that only works when the clutch is in. i just want it to accelerate normally. any ideas?

Fill out your profile so we know what is all done to the car. Then we can go through possible things that are happening. Any way you can post a log from DSMLink?

Are you 100% sure it has ECMLink in it? Do you have the cables and computer program to adjust it? If your not sure just take the case off the ECU. If you do have everything, post up a log and we can help you out.

Sounds like a slipping clutch to me it the rpm's shoot up but you don't go anywhere.

You should still verify you have ECMLink by taking the ECU out and removing the case. He should have also given you a data cable that hooks to the OBDII port via a USB end in a computer.

As what was said, if your rpms shoot up and your speed is staying the same it's sounding like the clutch is going out or improperly adjusted.

"the car doesnt give any gas","and then it grabs really hard but rockets up"

Making it one continuous sentence with a little confusion, for kicks. Was that your plan? ;)

From what I could assume you were trying to say I vote on clutch issues as well. Sounds like it has nothing at all to do with your ecmlink.

So, in order to accelerate normally again, you will have to check into that. Telling us what clutch, what turbo, and how much boost you are running would allow us to determine if the clutch is possibly just being overpowered.

Beyond that here's what I'd do. I'd start by checking your slave cylinder (peel the rubber boot back and look for fluid leaks) and the position of your release fork arm. (That is the little knob coming out of the bell housing which has one end of the slave rod resting inside it.)
If you see fluid behind the boot replace the slave and master cylinder with oem. If the release arm is out of position, that would involve taking the trans off. So, I don't know how you should proceed in that case.

Then, I would bleed the system and check the clutch adjustment.

The correct way to do all of this, linked to below. If you still have issues after this you likely have clutch or flywheel issues that need to be taken care of.

YouTube - Proper Clutch Adjustment
YouTube - Pivot Ball Shimming
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-drivetrain/60319-how-bleed-your-clutch.html
Slave Cylinder for the Clutch
RRE's Clutch And Flywheel Tech Info (bottom quarter of this page has it all)

Ok i must not have explained myself, the rpms go up as the car moves, its hard to explain ill get a video of it, and yes im sure it has ecm in it i have the program and the cord to tune it, and what is a log?

A log is the data you capture when you run the program. There will be lines of several thing. RPM and TPS is the main ones to look at in your case.

Download the program to your computer here ECMTuning, Inc.

Then get some data.

You can learn how to use ECMLink here ECMTuning, Inc.

You will have a better understanding about the program after you looked this stuff over.

Edit: The hyperlinks might look the same but they aren't.

The only other thing I can pull out of that gibberish is you are experiencing, Turbo Lag.

You step on the gas, rpms slowly rise, turbo slowly starts to spool, and then it HITS.

Again fill out your profile and let us know what you are running here or you are going to be impossible to help.

I also vote slipping clutch. Go under the car and remove the inspection plate to see if you can see any oil in the bell housing.

Ok i must not have explained myself, the rpms go up as the car moves, its hard to explain ill get a video of it, and yes im sure it has ecm in it i have the program and the cord to tune it, and what is a log?

Ok the RPMs go up when you accellerate? That sounds normal to me. Does your previous car have a CVT transmission or something, because how is that not normal?

LOG LOG LOG!

The only other thing I can pull out of that gibberish is you are experiencing, Turbo Lag.

You step on the gas, rpms slowly rise, turbo slowly starts to spool, and then it HITS.

Again fill out your profile and let us know what you are running here or you are going to be impossible to help.

Thats what i could take from it. Slow spool up and a big hit. Is there a 35r under the hood? LOL

Ok I uploaded an attatchment of my log, here it is.

Attachments

• log.2011.02.26-01.elg
    12.7 KB · Views: 41
So my talon has been spooling very odd and I'm unsure of what the problem is. If I step on the pedal and go beyond.. i'd say 20% throttle position, the turbo will spool all they way too 24 psi, and at the same time, my rpms will be going up very slowly, like maybe 500 rpms, from 0-24 psi. As soon as it hits 24 psi it will kick in. But if I gradually push down on the pedal the rpms will rise more appropriately. I dont know if this could be a setting in ECM link that i just need to adjust or what, i just bought the car maybe 2 weeks ago and everything was already done to it so its hard to tell how he set the settings. I uploaded a video of it the first half is when i step on the pedal right away, sorry i let off right after it hits because its hard to control with one hand, and after I set it down and pick it back up (sorry about that i was turning around) is when I gradually do it.
YouTube - Video02271103.3gp
Also I have a log on my laptop that I will upload in a minute.

Here is my log..

Attachments

• log.2011.02.27-02.elg
    40.6 KB · Views: 38
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back