The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Turbo spooling up but car not seeming to go anywhere?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolio

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 3, 2003
Port Charlotte, Florida
yea, so i tried a pull in 4th gear my psi went up to 17psi, and my car seemed slower then ever, im not sure if this could be caused by a leaky bov?, cause alot of the time when i come to a complete stop you can hear my bov whistle very slightley, also it seems like i have a boost leak but i went through everything and all my piping was tight, also could my cracked 1g mani be causing this problem? i may just try crushing my bov, im not really sure what is causing this, anyone got any solutions or something i can try that doesnt involve ripping my motor apart?

i havent done a full blown boost leak test, but i would know if i had a boost leak that made my car feel like this, it feels like there is a damn pipe hanging halfway off.

anyone think i may be leaking from my bov?, i know its not normal to feel air slightly blowing out of my bov at idle, also when you rev the motor up and let it go back down to idle you can hear is whistling for a few seconds, sometimes even 5-10 seconds., i dont think that is normal, which is most likely a case of a leaky bov, anyone think i should just try to crush it ?

Start with data logging. Boost, rpm, knock sum, o2, etc. Least you have AFC or somepin'. Cracked exh mani isn't the cause. And possibly, it's too much boost. Try lowering it to like 12psi and see.

DO A BOOST LEAK TEST!!!!!!!!!! And when that's out of the way, you can log the car to see if you are knocking real bad and whatnot.

yea i know, i gotta make up a boost leak tester, i just never have time to do it, then ill do a datalogg, ill try turning the boost down to like 14 or something.

The way i do it is simple. All you need is a rubber cap on turbo, no stem. And then you unhook the vacum hose to the pcv valve and stick air in that...works like a charm.

So if you've got a data logger, is the car knocking or the timing being pulled at all?

This sounds like either a boost leak (as mentioned above) or you're timing being pulled quite a bit.

Definitely try a boost leak test... But generally speaking isn't the car really jerky with a large boost leak? And wouldn't you be losing boost pressure instead of gaining (as your gauge shows)?

It could very well be a boost leak, just doesn't necessarily sound like one to me...

My .02 cents.

You have boost leaks 100% guaranteed. My car's doing the same thing.....turbo spools and no pull. I did the test and turned out I'm leaking from my TB, Bov (2 spots), and J-pipe (big one).

didn't you just start another thread .... plugs are bright white? did you replace your plug wires as well. give us an update bro.

well when i try to pull in any gear, it gets up to like 12psi then it will cutout, it kinda feels like fuelcut. but idk, im gonna figure it out this weekend hopefully, i could try to change my plugs and wires?, they may be going to crap and making my plugs run sketchy? making my car run like this?, idk, anyone else?

Did you leak test it?

Yes change the plugs and wires! Get ngk brp6es and "regular" wires are fine.

Man...it is your boost leaks.
Stop asking questions and go get them fixed, I know I need to.

If I'm not mistaken, leaks will make him run rich right? making his plugs black and not white?
His porblme might be somethign els,e but you should always do a boost leak test first.

Boost leak Test BEFORE you Search!
Search BEFORE you POST!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back