The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved ECM Link stops capturing randomly (Freezes)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasershark

Proven Member
May 17, 2013
over yander, Idaho
So while trying to data log, so I can tune for the new turbo setup, the computer just stops/freezes. It never records the same amount of time before it stops data logging. Sometimes it will record 90sec other times I will only get 20secs, never the same amount and it is making tuning a nightmare!!! The computer is a little older but it is a designated tuning laptop. After a factory reset the only thing this laptop runs is ecmlink (besides windows and other factory programs). I am wondering if this ecu related, laptop related, or maybe ecmlink related. Never had a problem with it in the past. Anybody had this issue???

Damn.. That was my idea. Is it the most current version of v3? I used to have problems with it losing the log if I pulled over to make changes.. I can't remember what I changed to make it maintain the connection longer without a signal.

Damn.. That was my idea
So those values are right? I am hardly tech savey. I can put a decent tune on a car but not a laptop :ohdamn:.

What about (in the same screen as you mentioned) the "poll connection" (keep alive) do you have that clicked?

I do have v3, got it in 2015 or so from ecmlink... (I would have to look at my build thread)

You can update the firmware from the main screen. there should be a how-to on the wiki. and yeah those are the values that I have
I 2nd update the firmware. Rule it out before something else.

You can update the firmware from the main screen. there should be a how-to on the wiki. and yeah those are the values that I have

I 2nd update the firmware. Rule it out before something else.

Alright, I will give it a shot and report back. Not sure how long it takes to get a response back from the firmware update request. Never would have thought of that so thanks guys!

All updated, ecu firmware and also laptop software was also out of date. Crossing my fingers!

Last edited:
The R means it has a resistor to suppress ignition noise that can interfere with electronics.
Have you made sure you're getting good connection on the datalogging cable?

Have you made sure you're getting good connection on the datalogging cable?
Outside of checking the physical connection? Not sure if you mean checking connection strength or something like that...

Honestly, I installed my wally 255 and was waiting on the afpr and bov to come in the mail before I rechecked anything. I have the afpr but still waiting on the BOV... Was going to install this weekend but then I came down with the sickness :barf:.

Yeah I meant physical connection. Like if by jiggling the cord around, or either connector you can recreate the problem.
But is it freezing up like you have to close the program on the laptop? Or just stops logging and you have to reconnect to the ECU? I should've asked that first.

just stops logging and you have to reconnect to the ECU
It basically freeze frames, I have to click stop stream and then reclick start stream. The laptop and program stays on. And when it freezes I can still safe the frozen log and retain it before starting a new one.

I cannot replicate the "freeze". I have tried wiggling the cable at the obd2 port and also at the usb on the labtop and it wont freeze when I wiggle them.

My firmware and laptop software was very out-dated so I updated both but as said earlier haven't tried a new log since I still have some components to install.

I do appreciate all the feedback and help! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back