The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

E85 on EVOIII at High Boost...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northendtrooper

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 21, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Search= Fail

Has anyone tune hard on a EVOIII with e85 over 23psi of boost?
I'm wondering if E85 would help hide the knock for it to push to 28psi...WTF

Absolutely. I believe FWDeclipse is running 28lbs of boost and an E3

I am up to 35psi falling off to 30psi with a e316g on my mirage turbo running E85. just keep an eye on knock. I am still pulling smooth :)

here is where I'm at on E85 Tuned by Shane at DB performance.

Attachments

• 06-18-2008 09;18;10PM (Small).jpg
    06-18-2008 09;18;10PM (Small).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,444
I spike to 30psi, but fall to 24psi because i shimmed the internal gate if not it would fall to 22psi.
I am pretty sure i have a boost leak at the TB.

Holy shit guys thats AMAZING!!!
When I plan to hit over 25psi I'll swap to an External 38mm Wastegate + Punishment o2 housing... Hopefully creep will be eliminated!
Azonic: How many pounds is that?

Im also running high boost levels on a 16g. I was maxing my 30psi BG and Im guessing I was around 32psi dropping to 26psi by 7k rpms. This was with the setup I have now minus the full 3" SS exhaust.

I got into a wreck and lost my exhaust. Im now running a 2.5" turbo back with a 2.25" tuned magnaflow muffler. I also found a small boost leak at #4 cylinder injector seal. I can only hit 26-28psi and fall to about 22psi now.

Its so hard to get these turbos to hold high boost. I have a lot of porting done to stuff and thats why I was hitting such high boost levels. Most people cant even see 28psi on a 16g. Im very surprised the one guy up there is hitting 35psi, thats just amazing on this little turbo.

I cant wait to get a new turbo, this thing is fun but if you look at dyno's the power drops off so fast its crazy. Need something that can hold some boost and make more power up top.

Its so hard to get these turbos to hold high boost. Most people cant even see 28psi on a 16g. Im very surprised the one guy up there is hitting 35psi, thats just amazing on this little turbo.

Being able to achieve such high boost isnt necessarily a good thing. That could just mean poor VE from the motor...35psi on a 16g doesnt sound healthy...

OP remember the higher you boost the less reliability from the turbo... I cant imagen the 16g lasting long at such high boost, the shaft speeds start to get ridiculous at those levels... Me personally even with e85, on a DD or a car that needed the turbo to last iwouldnt push past 27-28 psi on that turbo supposing it was in good condition. Just my opinion...

A local shop owner here in town has an e85/E316g car. Here's a quote from a local board (I think he has a L/A IC as well):

Oh, if you are still thinking of running E85, we can get your car to really move. In that 1G we are running factory fuel lines with a walbro 255 and 950cc injectors on that E316G and made an unbelievable 35.5PSI of boost with that setup and kept a solid 11:1 AFR, LOL! No engine management just a MAFT and no wastegate. Also has a welded shut flapper and some minor cleaning up of the turbine housing :wink: You would not believe how stupid fast the car felt at 35PSI of boost on that 16G.

I'll be running the same combo on my car once the rebuild is complete. Before the bearings went south, I was running 22psi @ 16:1 afr on e85 and still no knock. This fuel is ridiculously knock resistant, and I was tuning for no knock at the time, so didn't realize I was that lean until I borrowed a WBo2.

A local shop owner here in town has an e85/E316g car. Here's a quote from a local board (I think he has a L/A IC as well):

I'll be running the same combo on my car once the rebuild is complete. Before the bearings went south, I was running 22psi @ 16:1 afr on e85 and still no knock. This fuel is ridiculously knock resistant, and I was tuning for no knock at the time, so didn't realize I was that lean until I borrowed a WBo2.

Whoa thats lean... The motor actually makes less power that lean .
Im not surprised that 35psi on that thing took him welding the waste gate flapper shut. I recall reading the turbo could self destruct in really short order at that level. I know Joe Bucci was killing turbos left and right (The guy who ran 9s in e16g in a fwd laser)

My E3 16g hits 30psi (pegs the 3bar map) and holds 22psi to 7500. Its shimmed and i ported the exhaust housing for less wastegate flow. I wouldnt try to run 15psi on my turbo, it would def. creep. With Methanol, Sidemount, and 93 octane i made 385hp/388tq. Id love to run E85 but its not available down here in Fl.

Black Bullet - Yeah, I was pretty shocked/scared when I saw the numbers on the a/f gauge, especially since I had not been knocking. Needless to say, I bought a wb to go with the new motor so I don't melt anything :D

OP - I'd say go as high as you think you can and still make power. Don't do it without a wb, logging program, and a good IC. I've got a Dejon big smic and that's about as small as I'd think about getting away with on higher boost levels, even with the heat absorption that e85 has. I've got 950's, a rewired 255, afpr, Keydiver chip, and SAFC for fuel delivery and control, and I'm told that's going to be enough to keep me safe up to about 30psi. But as you can see from the above quote, Jack's hitting 35psi on just a MAFT, 950's, and a 255.

Jebus guys. I have the supporting mods to do all of this. I have 750cc right now so I would have to upgrade to at least 1050cc for anything near 30psi. I'll be happy to hold boost to redline at 25psi but I don't think my 750cc will do it.

What I would do is get the boost as high as you comfortably feel like going without exceeding 100% IDCs and get the AFRs at WOT around 11.8-12.1 and then tune for a good 16-22 degs of advance during full boost and wot....Say 16 degs just after peak torque ramping up tp 22 degs timing by 7k...Iwouldnt take peak timing much higher than that though especially if you have higher than stock compression...Something like that should work good!

Sounds good! I'll save this link for future use.

Black Bullet - Yeah, I was pretty shocked/scared when I saw the numbers on the a/f gauge, especially since I had not been knocking. Needless to say, I bought a wb to go with the new motor so I don't melt anything :D

OP - I'd say go as high as you think you can and still make power. Don't do it without a wb, logging program, and a good IC. I've got a Dejon big smic and that's about as small as I'd think about getting away with on higher boost levels, even with the heat absorption that e85 has. I've got 950's, a rewired 255, afpr, Keydiver chip, and SAFC for fuel delivery and control, and I'm told that's going to be enough to keep me safe up to about 30psi. But as you can see from the above quote, Jack's hitting 35psi on just a MAFT, 950's, and a 255.

Wow what car is he running that setup in. I havnt talked to him in a bit but when he tuned my bros e85 car he said he really wanted to build a street 16g e85 car. He even told me there is no way a 16g could hit that boost because we had my bros wastegate closed shut.

I thought he just was driving the crappy 5series LOL. He wasnt talking about kevins red GSX with the 18g right, because I believe that could hold better boost.

It's a red 1g Talon. Check out this thread on CODSM where I got that quote. It's about Jack's circle track drag addiction...it's a hoot. He's running a 16g because of the quick spool capability, and pretty nice top end he's getting from it.

You sure its not Kevins old 1ga eclipse?? That one had dsmlink but I think they moved it over to another car. Maybe its the same one. Also I thought it had a 16g with a 18g wheel. Anyways I dont know, they change stuff all the time. When he helped tune my bros car at 28psi he just freaked out at the power and how easy it was to spin the wheels.

Positive it's a Talon. There's a link to a couple of videos, and a photo of Jack getting a trophy. It's a car he bought that is trashed cosmetically, so he doesn't have to worry much if he hits the wall LOL.

REAL AFR or AFR showing on your WBO2 set up for gasoline?
I installed my WBO2 (Set for gasoline) and it read 18:1 @18psi and E85 (no knock! so you can`t tune with E85 for no knock, if you do this you`ll end up running very lean!)

AFR as shown on an AEM UEGO set up for gasoline. My readings were taken at WOT at 20psi. The target afr is 11.5:1, as burned into my eprom chip. I was lean because the chip was burned incorrectly. And as I previously wrote, I did buy a wbo2 setup so that I can keep an eye on things now, instead of tuning for no knock.

I hope you are not running around at 18:1 on e85 on a wbo2 set up for gasoline, and that your lean reading was just an accident like mine. If so, you need to back it down to 11.5-12:1 or you are going to melt something.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back