The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

DSM Glossary of Acronyms and Abbreviations

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wret

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 3, 2003
Bel Air, Maryland
Members are occasionally confused when they come across an abbreviation that they are not familiar with. I've put together a list of abbreviations, acronyms and jargon I've seen used on tuners to help you. However, new ones are being invented all the time. If you find one that's' not in the list, PM me and I'll add it. -wret

A/F Gauge : Air/Fuel Ratio gauge. A voltmeter attached to the oxygen sensor signal wire
A/T : Automatic Transmission
ABS : Anti-lock Braking System
AFC : Air-Fuel Converter, an aftermarket tuning computer sold by A'PEXi
AWD : All Wheel Drive
BCS : Boost Control Solenoid. What the ECU uses to control turbo boost pressure in the stock setup.
BISS : Base Idle Adjustment Screw
BOV : Blow Off Valve. Often used interchangeably with compressor bypass valve (CBV)
CAS : Cam Angle Sensor
Cat : Short for catalytic converter
CBV : Compressor Bypass Valve
CEL : Check Engine Light
CHRA : Center Housing Rotating Assembly. The guts of a turbo
COP : Coil on plug ignition system
CPS : Crank Position Sensor
CW : Crank walk
DOHC : Dual Overhead Cams
DSM : Diamond Star Motors
EBC : Electronic Boost Controller
ECU : Engine Control Unit
EGR : Exhaust Gas Recirculator. An emission-control system that directs some exhaust gases back into the intake manifold to reduce the formation of nitrous-oxide (NOx) pollutants.
EGT : Exhaust Gas Temperature.
EPROM : Erasable Programmable Read-only Memory.
ET : Abbreviation of the German term 'Einpresstiefe' which translates as 'Insertion Depth.' This term is used interchangeably with "offset" when describing wheel dimensions.
FAIV : Fast Air Idle Valve
FCD : Fuel-Cut Defencer
FMIC : Front Mount Intercooler
FPR : Fuel Pressure Regulator.
FWD : Front Wheel Drive
HID : High-Intensity Discharge. The brighter, bluish lights that are all the rage.
IAC : Idle Air Control. Also called an ISC (idle speed control)
IC : Intercooler
ISC : Idle Speed Controller
JDM : Japanese Domestic Market
LCA : Lower Control Arm
LSD : Limited-Slip Differential
M/T : Manual Transmission
MAF : Mass Air Flow, a term usually often used by tuners specifically to describe a chevy type air flow sensor that can replace the stock sensor when used with a MAF Translator or MAFT. Technically the terms MAF and MAS are interchangible
MAFT : MAF Translator. A device the converts the signal from a chevy hot-wire type MAF to allow it to me used in place of a DSM stock Karmann vortex MAS.
MAP : MAP sensor or Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor
MAS : Mass Air Sensor, a term usually used to describe the stock Karmann Vortex air flow sensor on a DSM.
MBC : Manual Boost Controller
MPI : Multi Port Injection
NA or N/A : Normally Aspirated
NT or N/T : Non-Turbo
OBD : On Board Diagnostics. OBD-I was version 1, OBD-II is version 2.
OEM : Original Equipment Manufacturer. Usually used to describe parts that came with the car from the manufacturer or their exact replacement.
PCD : Pitch Circle Diameter. A term used to describe the bolt pattern of a wheel. DSM's have a PCD of 5 x 114.3
PCV : Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Usually in reference to a PCV Valve which uses vacuum from the intake manifold to draw the fumes from the crankcase.
PFC : Programmed Fuel Computer (see also PF-CON, FCON)
PMS : Performance Management System, a piggyback engine management computer made for DSMs and other vehicles
SAFC : Super Air Fuel (Ratio) Converter. A fuel control device made by Apex'i
SMIC : Side Mount Intercooler
SMIM : Sheet Metal Intake Manifold
SOHC : Single Overhead Cam
STB : Strut Tower Brace
TB : Throttle Body
TCU : Transmission Control Unit
TOB : Throw Out Bearing
TPS : Throttle Position Sensor
TSB : Technical Service Bulletin
TT : Turbo Timer
UCA : Upper Control Arm
UICP : Upper Intercooler Pipe
USDM : United States Domestic Market
VPC : Vein Pressure Converter. A fuel management device which replaces the OEM air-flow metering
WOT : Wide Open Throttle

DSM Acronyms

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back