The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G DSM EPROM Chip Burning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubby90gsx

Probationary Member
Apr 3, 2008
blackburn, Florida
I used the search and didn't seem to find it but a long time ago there was a post floating around here about how you can tune an eprom chip, what codes to use for different things such as phantom knock and the 2 step.
It was written by jeff oberholster and it was a link that took you to a yahoo dsm group.
if anyone knows about the wearabouts of this link please post it.

There is much more info in the yahoo group. such as the phantom knock. i have my timing completely ignore my knock count(not safe),theres native boost control, native wideband, and so much more. i use speed density via eprom. there is so much you can do with the ecu thanx to the people that started the group!

Really cause I was talking to this guy the other day. He ended up telling me that I was waisting my time getting a chip burned. But with the info provided above, I can see much improvement with a chip, even with current mods...

The fuel map is very conservative. The timing map is actually a little too aggresive, for good pump gas numbers. And there are many amenities to having a reflashable eprom. Go to the dsm-ecu yahoo group, as mentioned. You'll get a massive amount of information and education on dsm eprom editing.

Get a yahoo sign-in and join the group. You'll find all sorts of eprom tools and .bin's (ecu code) in the file section.

I love burning my own chips. I pull a log, find out what I need to change, change the code, burn the chip, stick it back in the car. And start the cycle all over again. Also adding things in is always fun. If you mess up on a bin just revert back to your last bin and your tune is back the way it was. Normally before I burn a new tune, I read the chip and save it as LastCurrentBin.bin that way I always know where my last good tune is saved to. Also saved a basic tune that is only corrected for my injectors, maf, added WBO2 support, Stutter box, NLTS, and some timing reduction. That way if I mess something up really bad somewhere I always have a failsafe tune that I can burn and throw into the car.

Right which is why I need to get a couple of different chips burnt, for different tunes.. But as my current mods go, I could still reep a small amount of benefits from it.. And I have a yahoo sign in account, and will take look into the yahoo group...

Bud92gsx- i was looking at your profile and i would say a lot of what you do with the chip will depend on what boost level you plan on running. If you are only going to run at 14-15lbs, the stock timing map will be adequate which is where the stock map stays at high load level. Any higher than i would begin to decrease timing as the 1g maps are pretty aggressive. Your 450cc injectors arent going to allow you much more room than where you are at. So i would recommend an injector upgrade as soon as you can afford. The stock a/f ratio is extremely rich(as low as 9.3:1). So there is obviously a gain to be had here by leaning out some. Then add some fun stuff like the stutterbox, enhanced closed loop(to save gas) get rid of the octane maps. There is obviously much more that can be done to the ecu. I definitely recommend getting the logger going asap. good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Plugging in the variables in various fuel requirement computers, leaning out the stock fuel map from 9.4 (stock) to about 11:1 will give you about 45mpre horsepower headroom in the stock fuel system. The stock fuel system should max out at about 272crank hp at 9.4:1. But 11:1 gives you 318crank hp potential. This is in the range of pushing the limit of stock 14b turbo. 11:1 is the max safe lean rule-of-thumb for 93 octane pumpgas.

Bud92gsx- i was looking at your profile and i would say a lot of what you do with the chip will depend on what boost level you plan on running. If you are only going to run at 14-15lbs, the stock timing map will be adequate which is where the stock map stays at high load level. Any higher than i would begin to decrease timing as the 1g maps are pretty aggressive. Your 450cc injectors arent going to allow you much more room than where you are at. So i would recommend an injector upgrade as soon as you can afford. The stock a/f ratio is extremely rich(as low as 9.3:1). So there is obviously a gain to be had here by leaning out some. Then add some fun stuff like the stutterbox, enhanced closed loop(to save gas) get rid of the octane maps. There is obviously much more that can be done to the ecu. I definitely recommend getting the logger going asap. good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

As soon as my laptop will turn back on, I plan to get the logger going. As for injectors, when I can afford them. Don't know if i'm going to go huge and run E85, or go with some 900's and run 92 octane, plus 50% E85. SO I'm still throwing alot of ideas out of my head. RIght now I have 8 gallons of 92 and 2.5 gallons of E85 in m tank.. Helped a bit as for power is concerned. I'm also running only wastgate pressure which is what 11 psi or so..

Plugging in the variables in various fuel requirement computers, leaning out the stock fuel map from 9.4 (stock) to about 11:1 will give you about 45mpre horsepower headroom in the stock fuel system. The stock fuel system should max out at about 272crank hp at 9.4:1. But 11:1 gives you 318crank hp potential. This is in the range of pushing the limit of stock 14b turbo. 11:1 is the max safe lean rule-of-thumb for 93 octane pumpgas.

I'm running an EVO 3 16G, not the 14B. Look at my profile and tell me what you think. If adding a chip than leans me out and gets me around 40 hp, why not do it already? .. then later when I can afford new upgrades, I can just burn another chip. Plus if the link from before basically said I could do a couple of things to see a gain...So, for the cost of a chip I can have a some different things to play around with..Which would be wonderful...I'm still unemployed so getting new upgrades at the moment is out of the question.

dsmonster wasnt saying youll gain 40hp from leaning out, he was saying that your injectors would have the capability to support 45bhp more from leaning 9.3:1 to 11:1. You will pick up some power but you cant put an exact number on it. Plus all the other features make it worth while as well. Youll need different timing maps if your gonna run 15lbs than if you were gonna run 20psi. A/f should target pretty much the same as long as youre on straight pump

dsmonster wasnt saying youll gain 40hp from leaning out, he was saying that your injectors would have the capability to support 45bhp more from leaning 9.3:1 to 11:1. You will pick up some power but you cant put an exact number on it. Plus all the other features make it worth while as well. Youll need different timing maps if your gonna run 15lbs than if you were gonna run 20psi. A/f should target pretty much the same as long as youre on straight pump

I see what he was saying now...I'm installing a 2g mas today, that should lean me out a bit..

umm your running e85 like that with nothing to tune with ?

I'm only running a couple of gallons of E85. But no, I have nothing to tune with, my laptop is down so I can't log anything...

Is it true that you run less boost with E85 or more boost???

e85 has great resistance to detonation as well as high octane so it allows you the ability to run a more aggressive tune as well as more boost. It is comparable to running race gas all the time.
I would definitely not up your boost with no means of tuning/datalogging as well as fuel mods!

I ran 16lbs with 92oct with 10% ethanol in it with no knock all summer/fall on a stock 91 ecu. Get that logger running and crank it til it knocks (or fuel cut, more likely).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back