The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G DSM EPROM Chip Burning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubby90gsx

Probationary Member
Apr 3, 2008
blackburn, Florida
I used the search and didn't seem to find it but a long time ago there was a post floating around here about how you can tune an eprom chip, what codes to use for different things such as phantom knock and the 2 step.
It was written by jeff oberholster and it was a link that took you to a yahoo dsm group.
if anyone knows about the wearabouts of this link please post it.

Is there a page on how this chip burning works? I have been playing with all sorts of tuning software in order to learn everything, but have not done any tuning yet. I have been playing with ECMLink3, DSMLink2, And all Hondata Programs just in order to learn how they work. But I want all aspects, where can I learn about this?

Er... does work for the 2g, but it's not as well supported as the 1g. sorry.

Chip burning software will depend on your burner. If you are using a moates you can burn straight from tunerpro, a willem burner will require the willem software. Basically you edit the binary (.bin file) with the information you want either through a hex editor (google free hex editor) or through software like tunerpro (also, go ahead and google tunerpro). There is also a program called evilscribe that is pretty old but can do some cool things and I found it much easier than tunerpro to use.

The bin is the data that the ECU reads to know the maps and all that good stuff. It's based in machine code and can be difficult to understand what's going on. 'link, tunerpro, CROME, and all those change the data in the bin to values and tables that make sense to human beings. When edited in them and burnt to a chip, the ECU reads the data and responds accordingly. For example going from 500cc injectors to 1000cc's, changing this value in the binary the ECU knows that it is getting 2x the injector flow so it must cut the calculated pulsewidths by half.

Once you've edited the bin to what you like, you put a blank chip in the burner, load the bin file into the burning software, and then the burner software communicates how to burn the chip to the burning hardware. It's a lot like printing a picture, you manipulate the data, tell it to print, and drivers turn the information into something in the real world.

Honestly if you are going to go through the trouble of getting a burner, you may as well get an ostrich which is an eprom emulator. It simulates a chip and you plug the device into your ECU. You can change data in real time with no hiccups.

I've been working on doing this for months and months and I've just recently gotten the hang of all of it. It's not hard, but nobody on the forums is going to hold your hand, you'll want to find someone who has done it to help you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back