The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Dropzone full coilover!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slippi84

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 8, 2005
Cinnaminson, New_Jersey
Just wanted to show everyone that drop zone is doing a full coilover setup for 301 shipped to your door. Took some pics of them and they will be on soon so i'll let everyone know how they perform. It came with shocks coilovers and rubber orings that I have yet to figure out what they're for but I will let you know LOL. Anyway let me know what you think.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That is nothing more than dropzone or any other brand of shock using a set of cheap pos $20 coilover kits. The springs are too short. It will bottom out. And your already screwed because the upper spring seat should have never slipped over the bump near the top of the strut rod. Not my definition of a full coil over. Send them back.

And your already screwed because the upper spring seat should have never slipped over the bump near the top of the strut rod.
The upper plate's in these kits are only rubber. They can be pushed over and back across the shaft's stop no problem, so that's a non-issue.

That is nothing more than dropzone or any other brand of shock using a set of cheap pos $20 coilover kits. The springs are too short. It will bottom out. Not my definition of a full coil over. Send them back.
I have to agree.

It's just a basic 'eBay special' coilover kit, with a set of re-labeled struts. The springs are known to be junk and too short for our cars, so most other people usually replace them from the start. And who knows who manufactured the struts; let alone what valving they come with.

A true adjustable coilover system would consist of a threaded body shock. However, when the proper strut/sleeve/spring combo is used, it has been know to perform well enough regardless.

It's just a basic 'eBay special' coilover kit, with a set of re-labeled struts. The springs are known to be junk and too short for our cars, so most other people usually replace them from the start. And who knows who manufactured the struts; let alone what valving they come with.

A true adjustable coilover system would consist of a threaded body shock. However, when the proper strut/sleeve/spring combo is used, it has been know to perform well enough regardless.

I would have to agree. My GC setup was $400 (just for the sleeves and springs) plus the cost of the Tokicos ($500, at the time). I would be leary of a complete setup that was less than 1/2 the price and expect them to perform with any consistency or long life.

The upper plate's in these kits are only rubber. They can be pushed over and back across the shaft's stop no problem, so that's a non-issue.

Rubber? Nice. The ebay coilovers I have seen use an aluminum top hat. I was unaware they using rubber as well. That should work out nice.

Rubber? Nice. The ebay coilovers I have seen use an aluminum top hat. I was unaware they using rubber as well. That should work out nice.

Yes, the upper plate will be made from some type of metal...what Paul is referring to is the upper bushing, which on a less expensive kit will be made from a spongy rubber. My GCs use poly...and the best would be a spherical bearing (or the like).

Yes, the upper plate will be made from some type of metal...what Paul is referring to is the upper bushing, which on a less expensive kit will be made from a spongy rubber. My GCs use poly...and the best would be a spherical bearing (or the like).

I don't see an upper plate in that kit. Did they expect him to use the factory plate? And I use a spherical bearing plate.

I don't see an upper plate in that kit. Did they expect him to use the factory plate? And I use a spherical bearing plate.

Yes, you would use the OEM upper plate...the blue pieces are the upper bushing that would go between the upper plate and the spring (just guessing).

But I sure don't know why they would supply what looks like about 20 o-rings (which would more than likely go between the sleeve and the shock). Unless the spring kit is designed to fit different shock bodies and you just "pick the one that works".

I'd be scared to put those in my car.

Those springs are stupid short compared to mine.

I work for a wholesale parts company(you NJ guys know us we're called South Jersey auto suppply) we're like a nappa. I can get my hands on monroe mounting kits anyway if I need to but I will be getting a full prothane kit too which I'm pretty sure comes with upper strut mounts. Anyway selling shocks/struts on a daily basis I can tell you these shocks are just as good as sensatrac struts and I talked to a guy that had the dropzones and loved the ride before going threw with this purchase.

That stop that is mid way down the shaft comes off that's how I slipped the coilover on for display purpose only for now. Of course the springs are gonna look crazy short they are designed for 0-4" drop soo yeah LOL. I did read somewhere that those rings are like spacer or something which I'm not a big fan of but I think I might be able to rig some kinda of metal sleve to take there place if that be the case but it's just the fact that even if I used the shocks/struts alone with stock everything else it would cost about 200-300 anyway and my car has 130k on it with stock suspension food for thought.

They are under warranty so If they do break or something happens I'll be fine.

Edit: I just realized that one shock I put the coilover on is all the way expanded too it won't be that lond when under looad. Just look at the one that is being compressed by the strap and you'll see the HUGE difference.

I work for a wholesale parts company(you NJ guys know us we're called South Jersey auto suppply) we're like a nappa. I can get my hands on monroe mounting kits anyway if I need to but I will be getting a full prothane kit too which I'm pretty sure comes with upper strut mounts.

I don't think those upper mounts are included

Anyway selling shocks/struts on a daily basis I can tell you these shocks are just as good as sensatrac struts and I talked to a guy that had the dropzones and loved the ride before going threw with this purchase.

Monroe Sensatrac's aren't good shocks

That stop that is mid way down the shaft comes off that's how I slipped the coilover on for display purpose only for now. Of course the springs are gonna look crazy short they are designed for 0-4" drop soo yeah LOL.

I highly doubt those will ever sit at stock ride height without some extra work or different springs.

I did read somewhere that those rings are like spacer or something which I'm not a big fan of but I think I might be able to rig some kinda of metal sleve to take there place if that be the case but it's just the fact that even if I used the shocks/struts alone with stock everything else it would cost about 200-300 anyway and my car has 130k on it with stock suspension food for thought.

A stock suspension may be better than this setup.

They are under warranty so If they do break or something happens I'll be fine.

Have you ever tried to get a company to warranty lowering springs and shocks. They're for offroad use only, and many of the warranties will be voided if used on a car with lower than stock ride height. AGX's are notorious for failing on lowered cars and their warranties subsequently get denied.

Edit: I just realized that one shock I put the coilover on is all the way expanded too it won't be that lond when under looad. Just look at the one that is being compressed by the strap and you'll see the HUGE difference.

That won't affect how easily the car will bottom out over any significant bump. The only way you could get away with springs that short is if you were running stupid high spring rates. You're gonna become good friends with your bumpstops guaranteed.

I don't think those upper mounts are included

Monroe Sensatrac's aren't good shocks

I highly doubt those will ever sit at stock ride height without some extra work or different springs.

A stock suspension may be better than this setup.

Have you ever tried to get a company to warranty lowering springs and shocks. They're for offroad use only, and many of the warranties will be voided if used on a car with lower than stock ride height. AGX's are notorious for failing on lowered cars and their warranties subsequently get denied.

That won't affect how easily the car will bottom out over any significant bump. The only way you could get away with springs that short is if you were running stupid high spring rates. You're gonna become good friends with your bumpstops guaranteed.

Well first thing yoru a 1g I"m a 2g so our setups won't look exactly the same two I would never buy coilovers to ride at stock level and as to the spring rate I will find out what they are but I don't think that this will be worse than stock but we will find out soon enough. By the way I beg to differ about sensatrack but that's a whole nother topic.

Upper strut mount kits for 2G only come with the 2 little bushings and metal sleeve. Not the plate. Doesn't matter which company. I've been to Monroe's chassis school a few times. Sensatrac are junk for any car that is not at stock ride height. If you see how they are designed you would know why. Since you married these, at least buy a better set of springs for them. They are still just Ebay junk coilovers no matter who's looking at them. I don't think anyone here was trying to hurt your feelings, just trying save you some grief.

Upper strut mount kits for 2G only come with the 2 little bushings and metal sleeve. Not the plate. Doesn't matter which company. I've been to Monroe's chassis school a few times. Sensatrac are junk for any car that is not at stock ride height. If you see how they are designed you would know why. Since you married these, at least buy a better set of springs for them. They are still just Ebay junk coilovers no matter who's looking at them. I don't think anyone here was trying to hurt your feelings, just trying save you some grief.

I wasn't saying sensatracks were good for aftermarket use just that they are good made shocks in general I know because I sell them on a daily basis but that wasn't even the point. They are not no name knock off ebay springs I don't know why everyone keeps saying that. These are not ground controll units which is what I think some of you are confusing these with. I'm not married with these in any sense worse case they break and don't work and they don't warranty and I make a write about them and just eat it. It's not the end of the world. Best case they work fine and I have a good find and the rest of the community benefits from knowing they don't have to drop a grand to have a good suspension setup.

And my feelings are fine but thanks for looking out though;)

If those aren't no-name ebay springs then what brand of springs are they?

slippi, dropzone is junk. Stop denying that. I have 7inch springs on my 2g and they are barely enough. I need to get helper springs.

slippi, dropzone is junk. Stop denying that. I have 7inch springs on my 2g and they are barely enough. I need to get helper springs.

I'm not a salesman for dropzone I'm showing the kit showing what I came up with when I researched before I bought them and what I think I'm not saying my opinon is the end all be all but I think it ignorant to judge something before either having tested it or have heard someone that has used it complain about them(Which threw my research I have yet to find). that is all.

By the way that is what those orings are for I think. They are like spacers but I figure there are 20 so they exspect you to not need more than 5 a corner but still not a fan of that so I will let you know how install goes.

By the way these are 5 inches long so I don't see how that 2 inches is a huge difference ???

That kit is junk, goodluck with it. Dropzone is junk, if its made by dropzone specifically or something from ebay, its junk no matter how you look at it.

I wasn't saying sensatracks were good for aftermarket use just that they are good made shocks in general I know because I sell them on a daily basis but that wasn't even the point. They are not no name knock off ebay springs I don't know why everyone keeps saying that. These are not ground controll units which is what I think some of you are confusing these with. I'm not married with these in any sense worse case they break and don't work and they don't warranty and I make a write about them and just eat it. It's not the end of the world. Best case they work fine and I have a good find and the rest of the community benefits from knowing they don't have to drop a grand to have a good suspension setup.

And my feelings are fine but thanks for looking out though;)

You are right about that part. It won't be the end of the world but you could have just spent the money the first time on a decent suspension setup instead of buying the "dropzone" setup and hoping that it works... Just my .02

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back