The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

droping in block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattspyder

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 2, 2004
del taco, Wisconsin
how hard is it to drop in a complete long block that is assembled. reason I ask is because the shop that was supposed to do my complete rebuild kinda went out of business. So now he still has my car which wont be done for a long time... the city of milwaukee wont give him a permit until he fixes some stuff on his shop.

So I was thinking of just having him build the long block and then bringng it to my house and dropping it in myself.

how hard is it to drop in a complete long block that is assembled.
That will depend on a number of things.

Do you have a cherry picker?
Do you have all nessacery tools?
Do you have the nessacery knowledge and ability?
Do you have a helper?

If you can answer 'yes' to the above, it wouldn't be out of the question to drop in an engine and tranny (and hooking everything up) within a matter of 2-3 hours. It's much easier than most people think it is. Just use your head, take your time, and you'll be fine.

It isn't hard because when you take out a motor, you're to be very methodical, labeling literally everything. However, for you it will be a nightmare and I would advise against it. Trying to remember where locations and order for bolts and brackets and such is hard enough when you do it yourself; but you have no idea what this guy did in terms of organization or anything. You'd just be starting from scratch with a motor out of the car.

I'm not saying you can't do it with enough time, but it most definitely won't be headache-free.

yeah with 2 people, and a small background of your DSM engine compartment, its not too hard to drop it in. Maybe read through the haynes manual before dropping it in so you have a general guideline on what you are doing.

Have him put the entire engine together and have him do the timing, and everything else is fairly basic.

well i dont have a chery picker but i could get one pretty easy, I have all the tools, I have a friend that did a rebuild on his 1g. only problem is like stated above, I wouldnt know what connections go where. I dont know where all the connections go.

I do know he didnt hook up all the vacum lines on the intake manifold. cant remember what he called it, I remember he sad it wouldnt pass emissions if I had to do it. but thats not a problem.

A cherry picker will help you out alot. Also if you have some basic knowledge of the car your working on you should be fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back