The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G driver side axle popping out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
So for no appearent reason, last week my transmission started bleeding gear oil everywhere and after driving to my storage garage and getting under it, I found the driver side axle popped about 1/2 and inch out of the transmission. So I thought nothing of it and got the axle reseated and refilled my tranny. I then got onto the forums here to try to find someone with a similar problem with no real luck that went in the dirrection of my problem. However, I read one post regarding the c-clip at the end of the splines to keep it in the tranny. I let it go without checking since I had just filled the tranny up. That was Saturday. Now today, I had gotten to work, and was talking to a friend who parked next to me, when someone else came up saying my car was leaking on the passenger side. So again, it was the tranny leaking even more than before. Got it here to my garage, and sure enough, the damn driver side axle is out 1/2 an inch. I've pulled it all the way out of the tranny, and the c-clip is still there (just in case, I pulled one from the salvage yard a couple hrs ago). Should I just swap the clips and hope for the best? How can I find out the cause of this problem. I'm getting tired of my tranny leaking, and then being forced to drive to my garage with little to no gear oil...
I'm at the point of cutting my losses and selling this car, or worse...... I need some answers, anything helps, thanks.:banghead::mad:

Okay, here's a last second update, I just pulled the c-clip off my axle, and compared it to the one I pulled at the junk yard. My original is a smaller diameter clip, and there's a smaller gap in it making the clip smaller in overall diameter to the junk yard one. The one from the junk yard came off a GST with auto trans (mine's manual). The axle in the junk yard was also slightly different than mine. Should I use the new clip or no? I'm gonna test fit it and see if it'll slide into the tranny. Hopefully it doesn't pop off the splines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem and it was the c clip was worn into the groove on the axle. All i did was use the clip form a different axle and haven't had a problem since. Just make the axle doesn't come out easily when you switch the clip

I just swapped the clips and the new one is way loose compared the the original. I know it should be fine since the GST it came off, I had to crank on my wrench to pop it out of that tranny. But the clip wasn't this loose, and free spinning on the axle it came off of. Any thoughts?

Well, I just pushed the axle in with the new clip on it. Went in with a more satisfing click than with the old one, and is back to being a pita to pop back out with my 24mm wrench. So I think I'm gonna settle on this for now. Hoping for the best. Thanks for your input ;)

If it happens again I would replace the seal too... poping out that many times might cause alittle damage to the seal.

X2 ^^ Those little rubber seals dont take much to damage them, but hopefully with it only coming 1/2" it didnt give it a lot of play to rub the seal.

If it happens again I would replace the seal too... poping out that many times might cause alittle damage to the seal.

I'm guessing this seal is in the tranny since I've never seen seals on the axles. Where in the axle hole is it located, and where can I buy new ones? I thought it started leaking again today, but I had parked in a spot I had been in when it did leak, so I may have worried for nothing this time, as I've been driving a lot today and check under the car each time I get ready to leave. So far no leaks… yet…

If it happens again though, I want to be ready with the new seal, and while I'm at it, I'll do the passenger side seal so they get even usage. What exactly are these seals called?

I think it happened to my gst too, I tried racing this car an punched it in first then shifted and something weird happened. The car whenever I gave it gas it would slip and not grab the gear. I got it home and the clamp was off the driver side boot and the axle was out of the tranny a little bit, I pushed it in and tried the car and it caught the gear.I haven't drove it in a couple days. Is the axle broken or what idk. I need help!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back