The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Drive car with blown turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakelandry

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Minden, Louisiana
Ok ive read all the threads about driving with a blown turbo but im afraid i dont really have a choice in my current situation. I dont have the money to have my car towed and replace the turbo on my dd and i dont have access to a trailor. My turbo went out today about 10 miles from my house and the compressor wheel is destroyed. I switched my car over to SD and half ass calibrated my avcr 4 bar boost sensor as the mdp to where the car idled and is drivable without the maf. So i removed the intercooler piping where the air could pass straight to the intake without going through the turbo to prevent anything going into the intake but i figured it would be a bad idea to drive my car with the turbo contaminents going into my oil.. Is there a way to temporarally block off the oil to the turbo? I thought if i could cram something into the turbo to prevent it from spooling and open the wastegate it would prevent the turbo from breaking off all the way and sending more trash into my oil but contamination is still contamination. Would the trash sent into the oil by the turbo be small enough to pass through the oil pickup tube and oil filter? I know these are probably obvious questions to some of you but im not too familiar with turbo components so i dont really know what to expect to find in my oil. thanks for your advise.

Dude Your way over thinking it.Just drive the car like a n/t.Stay out of boost and so forth.To prevent damage.Tomarrow is saturday if you have an extra turbo sitting around to swap in.

I drove it home last night. I blocked off the oil feed from the head to keep it from burning/leaking oil. Then I took the oil return off and crammed a rag in the turbo side of the pipe to keep oil from getting out of it and bolted it back up. Then just cause I couldn't stand to hear the turbo beating and grinding itself the whole way home I Crammed a rag into the cold side as tight as I could and put a boost leak tester over it to keep the turbo from spooling and opened my wastegate. Then I did what I mentioned in the above post and ran my car off of sd via my avcr boost sensor and drove home fine pulling air straight into the intake manifold. Thanks for the help everyone.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back