The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Doors and trunk dont open with key but engine works

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilius

Probationary Member
Sep 9, 2009
Montreal, QC_Canada
Hey guys i have a problem, i have a key that only starts the engine but doesnt open the doors or trunk. I have a 93 eagle talon tsi awd, did this model come with 2 keys? And no my ignition wasnt changed, this is the original car key. I have electric door locks but if ever the battery dies im screwed.
I doubt thry changed all the door locks including the trunk!

Then they changed the ignition lock cylinder. Probably replaced it with an OEM part. Go to the dealer with the VIN and have them cut a key for it. It will fit the locks unless the locks were the one's that were changed.

Same thing happened on my '96 TSI. The key starts the car and locks and unlocks the glove compartment but doesn't unlock the doors or trunk. Not sure if the glove box can be opened with any DSM key or what, but I thought it would be kinda odd to change the ignition and the glove box.

Also, my battery did die, that is when I found out that my keys didn't unlock my doors. It sucked.:notgood:

Pull the pass side door lock out. It will have the key code. Take the title to the dealer and have them pull the key code based on the vin. If the key codes match, then at least you know the doors and trunk are original. If not, then the ignition lock is likely original and the doors and hatch are the replaced sets. Either way, it's a good idea to get a key cut to the code and then make a copy of it to use. Keep the key code key in a safe place. No telling how far removed your key is from the right one (copy of a copy of a copy, etc)

My 91 GSX takes two keys.

The ignition was changed, but doors, hatch are the same.

Heres one though of my FD RX7 the door wouldnt open with key becuase key was worn but ignition would start. I just went to home depot had them cut a new key and I was on road.
My dad told me that would work and it did. i was 2000 miles from home and pissed off trying to slim jim door in a 40 degree rain storm. JUST A SUGGESTION

I have had both my hatch and my passenger door, at different times, give me troubles. It's possible the cylindar is messed up. My car has over 200k miles on it, I should expect some wear issues. But I agree it could be the locks have been changed.

Your ignition and key may be worn, so they work together.

If you doors and hatch haven't had the key used in them much, and the key is worn, the key might not work in them. The points on the key are worn and while the matching pins in the cylinder aren't. Get a new key cut from your VIN and compare how they are worn.

im not sure about 1st gens but my 95 2g has 3 different keys one for the ign one for the door and one for the hatch

I was given 2 keys by the previous owner when I bought mine.
One "master" key that works every lock, glove box, hatch, and ignition.
One "valet" key that only works the door locks and ignition. It won't open the glove box or hatch.

There's just one extra peak near the end of my master key that differentiates between the two.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back