The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Do they have DSMs in Japan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimpizzy

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2004
Niles, Illinois
Hey guys. i was on another forum i a over read someone say DSMs arent a true import because their made in IL. and they arent even in Japan? i dont really think this is true and its a load of crap because of how popular DSMs are. i dont really know or read about the racing scene in japan, so they do have DSMs in japan rite?

mysticfire6602 said:
you missed the entire point once again. im not talking in terms of performance. i prolly shouldnt have used the camaro as an example, since the base model has a v6 instead of a v8. i know your gonna say "but the 2g base models have a different engine" but they are both 4 cylinders and the 420a is a varient of the same exact motor. what im trying to say is that, for example, the 300zx has both a n/t v6 and a turbo v6. having the n/t v6 doesnt not make it a 300zx just because it doesnt have a turbo. all i was trying to say from the beginning was that the e/t/l has a n/t and turbo variants, but having the n/t doesnt not make it an e/t/l. so n/t or not, all im saying is that they are both dsm's

edit: and i still have a DSM engine code sticker on the firewall of my 1g gs ;)

I was merely explaining my point of view. Not an all encompassing view of all things DSM. You are not going to change my mind about the subject and I will not change yours. I do not consider the NT cars true DSM's because they lack, to me, the defining factor of a DSM, the 4g63t. The motor is why I bought this car, not just the way it looks which I also like but for sheer ease of making it go stink fast for cheap. I also have the DSM firewall sticker, although it's a little faded. :thumb:

Syndicate13 said:
I do not consider the NT cars true DSM's because they lack, to me, the defining factor of a DSM, the 4g63t.
Well, this specific site recognizes them. There are certain undeniable advantages to not having to argue with a dealer about transfer case replacements, or incinerating turbochargers, or burning half-again as much gasoline per mile.

I tend to understand you, though. I don't consider FWD cars to be actual cars. Just transit toasters. Everbody's a bigot about something, even if it's only hating bigots.

However, there was some question about them being in Japan, so perhaps we can get back to that.

OK i work for Chrysler jeep dodge eagle dealer and i can tell you this since none of you have ever had your head under the hood of any of these cars other than your own, the avenger seabring are both mitsu Chrysler hybrid's look at the cluster look at the wiring the switches look like mitsu? because it is they use the 420a in everything just like the 4g63 or a small block Chevy the drivetrain does not determen the kind of car it is......with that said
back to dsm's in japan.

ps: chrysler and mitsu are still sleeping together YOU just dont know it yet!

i can understand why the sp called "pact" between mitsu and chrysler/dodge ended so soon. considering that mitsubishi did build the zero which was a japanese bomber plane that bombed pearl harbor. that plane was actually designed for that specific purpose. crazy stuff. just a bit of history to throw in there.

Bakelite was discovered in a quest to replace cellulose in the manufacture of non-ivory billiard balls.

So much for the History Treasure Hunt. I hope.

Oh, and Bakelite has as much to do with the Chrysler/Mitsubishi split-up as the Zero did. While Rolls-Royce owned Volkswagen, they weren't concerned that Ferdinand Porsche designed the tanks that the R-R engines were made to power the planes to take them out. Much as Vickers of England dealt happily with Germany during the Hitler War, and America dealt with the German Bayer Chemical company.

Money/politics/morality is a lot like playing paper/stone/scissors. Except Money beats all hands.

Ah, but you probably think the Civil War had something to do with slavery, too.

And the Zero was a fighter, based largely on a Howard Hughes design.

Maybe Mitsubishi builds cars the way they do to get us back for the atomic bombs. :rolleyes:

eh, maybe not.

so do i have a domestic or import.....LOL

somebody had to do it :)

RoasT BeeF said:
Ah, so those old Neon's must be DSM's also huh?

Sebrings and Avengers are NOT DSM's, sorry.
Have you sat in one(avenger/sebring)? It's just like sitting in a 2g.... exactly like one. I would consider the avenger a half-sister, it's bigger and uglier, but shares most of the same genetic material.

EDIT: oh and I LOVE my gs, I have tried to sell it, but I cannot part with it, I was even in the market for a gs-t/x but nah forget it, don't want one :toobad: .

Yeah, the interior in an Avenger is identical to a 2g...even the color of the lights are the same

Syndicate13 said:
I was merely explaining my point of view. Not an all encompassing view of all things DSM. You are not going to change my mind about the subject and I will not change yours. I do not consider the NT cars true DSM's because they lack, to me, the defining factor of a DSM, the 4g63t. The motor is why I bought this car, not just the way it looks which I also like but for sheer ease of making it go stink fast for cheap. I also have the DSM firewall sticker, although it's a little faded. :thumb:

Actually, the defining factor of a DSM is that it was designed and manufactured by Diamond Star Motors in the DSM plant in Normal, IL.

If it meets those criteria, it's a DSM.

Let's get back on topic. I'm surprised this thread didn't get closed with all the DSM-naming arguing.

I think they DID have DSMs in Japan, at least 2Gs.

I downloaded this Super Nintendo ROM a while ago that was only available in Japan. It was about some 20some year old guy who was trying to get a car and be a racer. One of the cars available was a 2GA GSX. If I stop being lazy, I'll get a screen shot.

Hmmmm I seem to be really confused at this point. Yes everyone knows DSMs were manufactured in the plant at Normal Illinois. However, I think just about ALL OF THE PARTS were made in JAPAN. If you look at any part you get from the dealership it says "Made in Japan" right on it. I am not sure if this includes everything such as the block or tranny, but every part I've purchased from a Mitsu dealership has always been made in Japan, and I am assuming all of the parts that were originally on my car (from the Normal Illinois plant) were indeed japanese in origin. This makes my car an import. Yes they had to pay some american factory workers to slap all the parts together in a very half-assed manner but the materials themselves are all Japanese (if I am wrong someone please enlighten me!). Maybe there are certain parts of the car that were made in the U.S.? How about the frame?

sonicnofadz said:
Hmmmm I seem to be really confused at this point. Yes everyone knows DSMs were manufactured in the plant at Normal Illinois. However, I think just about ALL OF THE PARTS were made in JAPAN. If you look at any part you get from the dealership it says "Made in Japan" right on it. I am not sure if this includes everything such as the block or tranny, but every part I've purchased from a Mitsu dealership has always been made in Japan, and I am assuming all of the parts that were originally on my car (from the Normal Illinois plant) were indeed japanese in origin. This makes my car an import. Yes they had to pay some american factory workers to slap all the parts together in a very half-assed manner but the materials themselves are all Japanese (if I am wrong someone please enlighten me!). Maybe there are certain parts of the car that were made in the U.S.? How about the frame?

1g and 2gT models had japanese-made drivetrains. 2GNT's had american drivetrains. The rest of the vehicle was american-made.

suicidal2af said:
1g and 2gT models had japanese-made drivetrains. 2GNT's had american drivetrains. The rest of the vehicle was american-made.

Hmmm then do you mind telling us WHY EVERYTHING from the dealership has "Made in Japan" labeled on it?

something that ya guys might find interesting, I was doin a set of brakes on a buddies avenger the other day. On the door jam and under the hood I found factory stickers that said DSM in blue, and also the factory 5-spoke rims, that even say dodge on one of the spokes, say DSM on the backside of the rim. Maybe this was only in 95 that they had that, I'll check out my other friends 97 and see if I can find the stickers on that one too.

wetther some turbocharged spoiled dsm brats might consider a Non turbo eclipse,sebring,or avenger a dsm or not it doesn't matter.If it has a FACTORY sticker saying DSM,then thats what it is.That my opinion based on fact and reasons as previously stated on this thread.As far as DSM in japan,yes there are,but they were imported alos as previously discussed.It would be nice to have a JDM/EDM pics to see what their doing on the other side of the world huh?just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back