The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Do I need AWD Flywheel to run an AWD tranny in FWD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm nuff said

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2009
Montoursville, Pennsylvania
So I have a 92 TSi FWD and I have a bad tranny in it. Got an AWD tranny and I ordered the VCE (Viscous Coupler Eliminator) from shep trans to run it. Now all Im curious about is the flywheel. Do I absolutely need an AWD flywheel? or can I run my FWD flywheel in it since its going to be only running FWD anyway? Are the flywheels any different. And just for the record, Ive looked high and low for FWD Turbo trannys in my area and I live in North East Pennsylvania and the closest one I could find is in Michigan. Granted I can find one closer but for $600+ and I dont have that. So this AWD trans Im getting is $150. Please I dont want replies like, "why not just get a FWD tranny?", or "sell your car and get an AWD", or "OMG if you dont have a GSX ## ###". Just want the answer to my question, DO I NEED AN AWD FLYWHEEL OR NOT?

Don't take my word as a concrete answer, but id imagine you should be able to use it. The clutch kits for the 2g turbo models have the same part numbers regardless of drive train which would mean the flywheels would be identical too. Makes sense that 1g turbo models would be the same way.

Don't take my word as a concrete answer, but id imagine you should be able to use it. The clutch kits for the 2g turbo models have the same part numbers regardless of drive train which would mean the flywheels would be identical too. Makes sense that 1g turbo models would be the same way.

Incorrect, the flywheels are different diameter for the awd and fwd. The awd flywheel is a smaller diameter. The clutches are however the same.

You need to run a flywheel to match the trans. AWD trans=AWD flywheel FWD trans=FWD flywheel. Just so you understand the FWD flywheel is larger in diameter so a AWD trans will not fit over it.

Ok. Does anyone have the dimensions or a way to tell an AWD DSM flywheel from another flywheel. My buddy says he has one but he has a few different flywheels from different cars laying around his garage and he isnt sure which one is the right one. So any info on identifying it would be great. But the clutch kit is the same?

Before you even do this you do realize you cannot just bolt in an AWD tranny and go? You would have to run a welded center diff or a viscous coupling eliminator. There is no other way if this is what you want to do.

Did you read his first post where he said he ordered the vce

Before you even do this you do realize you cannot just bolt in an AWD tranny and go? You would have to run a welded center diff or a viscous coupling eliminator. There is no other way if this is what you want to do.

If you read his first post he said he already has the VISCOUS COUPLING ELIMINATOR!!!

You'll also most likely want to run an AWD driver's side axle with intermediate shaft. The seals are different, and the opening in the case is different so you can't just stick a FWD seal in it. Also, the FWD trans has taller gearing, you'll be more likely to spin in lower gears with an AWD trans. I've got a '91 FWD trans and I'm located about 45 minutes north of Philly. PM me if you're interested, might be easier.

Dont make the mistake of getting the wrong starter plate or youll be pulling the transmission i learned that when i did my non turbo swap couldnt figure, why i had starting problems.

The flywheels are only different by 4 teeth on the ring gear diameter. Using a FWD STARTER plate, would allow it to work, BUT you would have to eliminate the t-.case shaft and plug the hole because clearance for that shaft is the reason they are different to start with. The starters are the same on all manual trans DSM'S JUST SMALL. Differences in length in some years between AWD and FWD because ic brackets and stuff most people get rid of which let's them all Interchange

The flywheels are only different by 4 teeth on the ring gear diameter. Using a FWD STARTER plate, would allow it to work, BUT you would have to eliminate the t-.case shaft and plug the hole because clearance for that shaft is the reason they are different to start with. The starters are the same on all manual trans DSM'S JUST SMALL. Differences in length in some years between AWD and FWD because ic brackets and stuff most people get rid of which let's them all Interchange

While the starter plate will allow the starter to be in the correct place, the bolt holes in the bellhousing won't match up with the holes in the starter plate so the starter wouldn't be able to be bolted on to the awd trans using a fwd flywheel.

While the starter plate will allow the starter to be in the correct place, the bolt holes in the bellhousing won't match up with the holes in the starter plate so the starter wouldn't be able to be bolted on to the awd trans using a fwd flywheel.

could I drill holes in the starter plate to allow it to bolt up?

could I drill holes in the starter plate to allow it to bolt up?

No, I am not sure you understand what is going on here. The starter plate has a big hole in the center that positions the starter. It has 2 smaller holes that the bolts go thru after they come thru the transmission. If you were to just drill the holes thru the starter plate to match the holes in the transmission than they wouldn't thread thru the starter, they wouldn't be anywhere close to hitting the holes on the starter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back