The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

FWD flywheel in AWD car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fayt

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 26, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
So, I've been having issues with my flywheel and my starter. The starter keeps disengaging after one start, flywheel has no broken teeth, ring gear is in perfect condition, starter works fine (had it tested no problems) and tranny is brand new.

Called Buschur today and they said that my problem is because the AWD flywheel is supposed to be smaller than the FWD one. So, I probably have the wrong size. Ordered it on eBay a few months back, and it SAID 6 bolt AWD Fidanza Flywheel.

My question is, would my car run fine with the wrong size flywheel? Obviously it doesn't start up, but would that be it?

Well, Buschur said the problem lies either in the flywheel being wrong, or the plate between the transmission/engine is messed up. I'm going to say it's the latter.

Any idea where to order (I guess) a transmission seal of some sort?

It's been a while since I replaced a starter, but I don't recall a plate of any kind between the motor and tranny. The only thing I can think of is the inspection plate, but that's on the bottom by the oil pan.

The starter mounts to holes that are in the tranny, and unless the holes are messed up allowing the starter to pivot, I don't see that as a problem.

I just don't know what Buschur is talking about.

I have verified that the starters are the same on all our cars. The flywheel is however a 1/4" wider for the FWD's. The plate buschur is referring to is the locating plate in between motor and tranny. It helps align the starter into the transmission. It is different in between the FWD and AWD cars however. But, I am assuming that you did not swap that or even remove it. It is bolt to the motor with two 10mm bolts. So I would suspect that the flywheel is the wrong size. Sounds if it might be jamming up and disengaging somehow. I believe the AWD flywheel is 10.75" and the FWD flywheel is 11".

Steven

It is physically impossible to use a fwd flywheel in the awd transmission. The awd flywheel is smaller in diameter to clear the output shaft for the tc. The fwd flywheel will jamb against the shaft and casting inside the bellhousing on the awd tranny to a point where the engine wont even spin.

You also need to recheck your source that stated the fwd and awd starters are the same. They are not the same and they both have a different part #. My guess is that you either have a bad starter, wrong starter, or the plate between the tranny and engine is missing.

My source is the dealer. This applies to 1G's. 5 speed cars.

AWD- md172860
FWD- md172860, md 172861 In caps they appear to be the same
89 turbo CSM- md172860

2G's

AWD- md172860
FWD- md172860

Steven

The starter is the same. However, the awd and fwd transmissions have the holes for the bolts slightly different.

For the smaller flywheel, the starter is moved closer to the crank (awd) for the larger (fwd) flyhweel, the bolt holes are moved out.

It is very hard to look and see the difference. The only way to tell is to put the plate that goes in between the trans and the engine (yes, there is supposed to be one) over the transmission. Put a AWD plate over a FWD transmission and you will see the difference. The bolt holes miss each other by about a half inch -- but that half inch makes all the difference.

Your only option is to get the right flywheel -- I know you were looking for an easier fix that didnt require dropping the tranny again, but...

So if i were to swap a fwd trans into an awd talon like my 95 (which i will be doing soon) i will need to swap the back plate too? Or will i just need the fwd starter. Im pretty confused

So if i were to swap a fwd trans into an awd talon like my 95 (which i will be doing soon) i will need to swap the back plate too? Or will i just need the fwd starter. Im pretty confused

With some modification, no. But for ease of install I would say yes, buy the correct starter alignment plate (or whatever its technical name is).

I have done the opposite of what you're planning to do. I have a TRE AWD transmission in my FWD car. I did not replace my starter (awd/fwd, they're the same). The difference lies in the plate that sits between the block and the transmission (not the flywheel inspection cover, think where your starter sits. Up there...). If you were to place your starter on the bare transmission you would notice that the two bolts that hold the starter in place allow it to wiggle around a bit... The alignment plate has a big opening that the starter fits through and holds in in proper alignment. I used my FWD plate with my AWD transmission but had to enlarge the opening since the starter sits (is angled) a little lower on the awd bellhousing as compared to the position it sits in on the fwd bellhousing.

Hard to explain without a picture I guess, but once it's all apart you'll see.

FINALLY someone responds! haha, thankyou for the information or clarification i should say, appreciate it! I've done this on a few 1g's but this is my first 2g to do it on. Just for fun, all i gotta do to do the swap is the trans, axles, clutch, and flywheel? The slave, hubs etc...are still the same?

With some modification, no. But for ease of install I would say yes, buy the correct starter alignment plate (or whatever its technical name is).

I have done the opposite of what you're planning to do. I have a TRE AWD transmission in my FWD car. I did not replace my starter (awd/fwd, they're the same). The difference lies in the plate that sits between the block and the transmission (not the flywheel inspection cover, think where your starter sits. Up there...). If you were to place your starter on the bare transmission you would notice that the two bolts that hold the starter in place allow it to wiggle around a bit... The alignment plate has a big opening that the starter fits through and holds in in proper alignment. I used my FWD plate with my AWD transmission but had to enlarge the opening since the starter sits (is angled) a little lower on the awd bellhousing as compared to the position it sits in on the fwd bellhousing.

Hard to explain without a picture I guess, but once it's all apart you'll see.

I know this thread is a bit dated, but I just came across a picture of what I remember trying to describe and thought I'd post it up here for future reference (in case anyone come across this in a search).

So here's the plate (ignore the carnage, hehe). To reuse mine with an awd transmission I had to open up the hole where the starter gear sits and slot one of the bolt holes (i think... it's been a while).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back