The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

DIY short throw

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alright, I figured out a way to make the existing shifter's throw considerably shorter for the cost of a few nuts and bolts. Preliminary tests seem to indicate that it works great. Its very easy to do, cheap, and fully reversible. You can even decide how much shorter you want the throw to be.

Here's how:

Basically, I realized that by shortening the lever arm for the tranny side of the shifter, you can do the same work with less movement, so all you have to do is move the cable mounting points. The first picture shows pretty clearly both of the new, completed mounting points. The second shows where you should put the new mount for a 50% reduction in throw. Move it farther out for less of a reduction, move it in for more of a reduction (I would NOT recommend going more than 50%). On my 5 speed shifter arm there was actually a crease right at 50%, so I drilled there. The last picture shows the other arm with the new point point. You can see its just a regular bolt (I used M8x30 bolts) with a jamb nut holding it onto the arm. Use lock nuts on the end so they don't get vibrated off. Total Cost: $3.45 if you reduce the throw both ways.

Here are some pics..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here is a link to where you can prevent over shifting from happening.. Which can result in damage to the shift forks within the transmission.

http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/shiftendstop.html

Attachments

• Short%20shifter.jpg
    Short%20shifter.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 10,838
  • Short%20shifter%203.jpg
    Short%20shifter%203.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 10,852
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back