The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

How To :: Install a B&M Short Shifter in a 2G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So this weekend I had a chance to install my B&M Short shifter into my 98 Eclipse GSX and I took pictures along the way, just to post here! :cool: So here is a "how to" and some nice pics.

1. First you have to get all your tools ready. You are going to need:
  • 12mm Wrench
  • Small Flat Head Screw Driver - For prying the stereo/HVAC bezel off
  • #2 Philips Screwdriver
  • 1/2" Deep well socket and drive
  • 7/16" Wrench
  • Needle Nose Pliers
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

2. Remove the ash tray / cup holders by pulling up on both sides. It should just pop right out.

3. Using the Phillips screwdriver, remove the 2 screws that are under where the cup holder was.

4. Using the Phillips screwdriver again, remove the 2 screws on both sides of the back of the center console. You will have to move your seats just about all the way forward to do this.

5. Next you'll want to unscrew the shift knob. Also what I did, so stop it front binding up when I pulled the console off, was to just pull up on the shift boot so that it will just slide right off.

6. Now you're going to have to take off the stereo / climate control bezel. This was a pain because one of my tabs was under something, so I had to bend it out, then just bend it back before I put the bezel back on, but you may not have the same problem... The easiest way to do this is to start from the bottom, prying outward with the flat head screw driver. From there, it's pretty self explanatory, just try not to scratch, crack or break anything.

7. Using the phillips screwdriver again, unscrew the 2 screws that are holding on the center console on both sides of the stereo.

8. Next, remove the ash tray light by turning light housing from the underside of the console. Carefully lift up the center console and remove the cigarette lighter wires that are connected to it. Now you can lift out the center console.

9. Now that the center console is out, you can now see what you're working with and going to be changing. Take your needle nose pliers and remove the cotter pin that attaches the cable link to the bottom of the stick shift.

10. Using your 12mm wrench, remove the nut that attaches the shifter to the pivot point.

11. Now all you have to do is remove the stock shifter and everything that was on that pivot point. Make sure you KEEP THE NUT, LOCK WASHER AND FLAT WASHER!! YOU WILL USE THEM TO PUT THE AFTER MARKET SHIFTER BACK ON!! Also, make sure you keep the bushing in the cable link there as well.

Now that everything is out... here is a comparison between the stock shifter and the B&M Short Shifter.

Now it's time for reassembly!!

12. Now, place the supplied nylon washer onto the pivot shoulder and then slide the B&M Short Shifter Pivot onto the shoulder. Make sure the bearing hole is in the up position and the square step is facing away from the shifter. (The square step is what keeps the blue pivot stationary on the pivot pin housing.)

13. Insert the other supplied nylon washer into the other side of the B&M Pivot Point and apply a drop of the supplied Loctite on to the threads of the supplied lock nut and then tighten it onto the threads of the pivot shoulder inside the B&M shifter pivot pocket.

14. Now you have to decide whether you want a 35% or 50% deduction in your throw. I personally went with the 50% reduction, so I put the supplied shift pin into the bottom hole if the shifter assembly after I put a few little drops of Loctite on it.

NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU PUT THIS PIN IN BEFORE YOU PUT THE SHIFTER ONTO THE PIVOT PIN, OTHERWISE IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO SCREW THE PIN INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE SHIFTER.

15. Push the stock cable link bushing onto the exposed "nose" of the shift pin and snap the supplied e-clip into the groove to secure it. Use your needle nose pliers to make this a little easier.

16. Slide the B&M Short Shifter assembly onto the exposed stock pivot pin, making sure the bearing hole is in the up position and the square step is facing the passenger's side and sits flat on the stock pivot base.

17. Reinstall the flat washer, lock washer, and nut back onto the stock pivot pin and tighten back down with your 12mm wrench.

18. Just to make sure everything is functioning properly... Test the movement of the shifter to make sure nothing is grinding and all the gears are entering smoothly. Also make sure all your nuts and bolts are snug.

19. Re-assemble the center console in the reverse order that is was removed.

Enjoy your new B&M Short Shifter!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back