1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Diffs & LSDs

Posted by wret, Jan 19, 2007

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. wret

wret Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2003
    Bel Air, Maryland
  2. BOOstGhost

BOOstGhost Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2003
    Vacaville, California
    great read, thanks.

253  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 2G DSM
  3. jtmcinder

jtmcinder DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 4, 2003
    Iowa City, Iowa
    The LSDs article was updated, since it's really true that the silicone goo increases in viscosity with temp. Thanks to all that provided info and links.

- Jtoby

4. jtmcinder

jtmcinder DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 4, 2003
    Iowa City, Iowa
  5. mschlanglv

mschlanglv Proven Member

Joined Feb 16, 2008
    Duluth, Minnesota
    Question on that, after a spring track day in LV I found that I could freely spin a rear tire when the other three were on the ground. After things cooled down and I had gone home I could no longer do the same.

I figured the rear LSD had gotten so hot it lost its "locking" ability, but that doesn't jive with the above articles. Thoughts?

555  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  6. jtmcinder

jtmcinder DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 4, 2003
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Most fluids lose viscosity as they heat up. For a long time, I thought that the fluid in a VC was like this and that the hard lock that you reach when the VC is very hot was the plate-to-plate contact only. But people kept saying that the goo was something special that increases viscosity and, while I could find no peer-reviewed paper on it, there were enough statements to the same effect out there that I changed the article to what it says now. This has always bugged me, because I'm not 100% sure of that part, but as time passed, I got over my worries and went on with life.

Thanks a bunch for bringing all of the worries back. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  7. zedicus

zedicus Proven Member

Joined Aug 4, 2011
    Garden city, Kansas
    overheating the silicone fluid causes sudden loss of the LSD effect. fails in the 'open' state.

it does expand/add friction when heated to a point, and that causes the initial tranfer of the LSD function. at a certain point of expansion they cause the plates to lock together (because only half the plates have holes for it to pass through while the other half get forced over) its like a cross between a torque converter and a wet clutch.

also the silicone fluid in a viscous coupling has a life expectancy of 60,000 miles under normal use. after that its pretty much open anyway, and since its non-serviceable in our case, the core needs swapped for it to be good again. (actually mine seems to hold a lot of torque still and im at 120,000 miles and half that has been sheer abuse)

Street Build 565  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. TrueBoost88

TrueBoost88 Probationary Member

Joined Feb 14, 2018
    Elgin, Illinois
    Can I use non lsd axles in a lsd differential?

Drag Race Build 722  9

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM