The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Differences between 1G and 2G other than Engine/tranny + Exterior looks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daemos

Probationary Member
Oct 19, 2005
Winterpeg, Manitoba_Canada
Hey guys

Thought I should introduce my self first

I'm new to the world of DSMs and I'm intrested in picking one up as a project, then once it's done convert it to a daily driver (and sell the spec v)

I'm intrested in the DSMs because of a few things, they are pretty affordable, AWD (lots of snow during the winter, AWD would be REALLY REALLY nice), turbocharged, and they respond very well to modifications of the chassis (handling) and power (Straight line) and if built right seem to be very reliable.

My initial questions are quite simple (and I've searched, but haven't gotten any definite answers)

Other than Exterior looks and going from the 6-bolt to the 7-bolt engine design, is there any other differences (in the chassis) between the 1st gen and 2nd gen DSMs? IE suspension differences (I know 1st gens don't like lowering too much, because they have limited suspension travel, similar to that on my sentra) I've never known anyone that had a 2G. As well the 1G is lighter (and a lot more affordable). The interior looks almost identical (to me) though, so potentially it could be the same chassis (maybe?)

As well what parts from the newer evos bolt on to the engine? (just for information)

And between the 1G/2G (if you guys could make a separate list for each gen) what are the modifications that should be made first, so the car is reliable under hard driving, and lots of power. (I know for 2G, people say drop in 6bolt engine, and get your tranny rebuilt by shepards racing or something like that)

I guess the main question is just, what are the differences between the chassis of the 1st gen and the 2nd gen. (More travel, stiffer, what changed etc)

Thanks

The inteiors are quite different IMHO. 2G is a nicer interior.

I'd go 1G, unless you find a cheap 2G AWD.

Either way, 6 bolt engine is the only way to go.

So if you get a 2G, you will want to buy a 6 bolt block to build for sure, unless it already has the swap done.

hmm :/ so no one knows the answer to the chassis question then :(

Anyone have any pictures that show the difference between the 1g and 2g interior?

Thanks alot for your help :)

They look the same *shrugs* maybe just bad shots.

I'm more concerned about the chassis. I want to know what's different. Common someone has got to know.

My god, you think the interiors look the same!

That is a 1g
56076DSC02046.JPG

2g, yes convertable but gives you a great view of the interior
56660clipse5.jpg

P.S This took me less than 2 mins to make this post so I don't understand how you couldn't find the difference. I think you need to search a little. :thumb:

Daemos said:
hmm :/ so no one knows the answer to the chassis question then :(
1Gs are Fearsome strut front ends, 2Gs aren't. The drive systems are the same, and quite rare in the AWD automotive world for being a true 50/50 torque split front-to-rear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back