The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved Difference between Eclipse RS / GS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Information is from
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Curb weight-RS (MT / AT) 2745 / 2811 lbs
Curb weight-GS (MT / AT) 2833 / 2899 lbs

Wheel size - RS 14 x 5.5 steel w/full covers
Wheel size - GS 16 x 6 JJ aluminum alloy

Tire size -RS 195/70HR-14
Tire size -GS 205/55HR-16

Front Stabilizer bar - GS/RS 19 mm
Rear Stabilizer bar - RS none
Rear Stabilizer bar - GS 13 mm

Front Breaks - GS/RS Power-assisted single-piston sliding caliper with ventilated disc (GS - ABS opt)
Rear Breaks - GS power assisted single piston sliding caliper with rear solid disc
Rear Breaks - RS drum

Front seats - RS 5 Way Adjustable Driver Seat With Dual Height and Memory Recline
Front seats - GS 6 Way Adjustable Driver Seat With Dual Height and Memory Recline, Adjustable Lumbar support:

Rear seat - RS One Piece Fold Down Rear Seat Back
Rear seat - GS Split Fold Down 50/50 Rear Seat Back

Seat fabric - RS Woven Cloth Seating Surface With Vinyl Back
Seat fabric - GS Sport Fabric Seating Surface With Cloth Back

Antenna - RS Fixed Mast
Antenna - GS power, diversity antenna system (in glass)

Fog lamps - RS None /GS Integrated

Rear window wiper/washer on GS / RS None

Paul Lindemann

My 97 GS has rear window wipers..

^^^i think he got everything.

ABK: our engines have more agressive cams than the neons do. OH, and we look a hell of alot better:thumb:

But neons weigh less. Back in the day when i had a gs my buddy had a neon coupe and pulled on me. Nothing like two 100whp cars "Racing"..hahahahahaha ROFL

you do realize you revived an 8 year old thread for that...
also it says "Rear window wiper/washer on GS"

Necromancing with the dead... (thread that is)

I want to REVIVE this thread for not only myself, but to correct and enlighten anyone else who may run ac ross this page (via google search). Yes i did search, however 90% of the results are ill informed GSX'ers that only "know" leather was "only an option in the gst and not offered in rs/gs". This not only coming from this site, actually searching the forum i found nothing, i had too google this page to find it. Also got the same answer from yahoo answers.

But anywho...

Information is from
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Curb weight-RS (MT / AT) 2745 / 2811 lbs
Curb weight-GS (MT / AT) 2833 / 2899 lbs

Wheel size - RS 14 x 5.5 steel w/full covers
Wheel size - GS 16 x 6 JJ aluminum alloy

Tire size -RS 195/70HR-14
Tire size -GS 205/55HR-16

Front Stabilizer bar - GS/RS 19 mm
Rear Stabilizer bar - RS none
Rear Stabilizer bar - GS 13 mm

Front Breaks - GS/RS Power-assisted single-piston sliding caliper with ventilated disc (GS - ABS opt)
Rear Breaks - GS power assisted single piston sliding caliper with rear solid disc
Rear Breaks - RS drum

Front seats - RS 5 Way Adjustable Driver Seat With Dual Height and Memory Recline
Front seats - GS 6 Way Adjustable Driver Seat With Dual Height and Memory Recline, Adjustable Lumbar support:

Rear seat - RS One Piece Fold Down Rear Seat Back
Rear seat - GS Split Fold Down 50/50 Rear Seat Back

Seat fabric - RS Woven Cloth Seating Surface With Vinyl Back
Seat fabric - GS Sport Fabric Seating Surface With Cloth Back

Antenna - RS Fixed Mast
Antenna - GS power, diversity antenna system (in glass)

Fog lamps - RS None /GS Integrated

Rear window wiper/washer on GS / RS None

Paul Lindemann

THIS ^ is the ONLY valid post i have read on this entire thread.
Altho, i can't help but wonder... did all GS's come with rear wipers?
How about a breakdown list like that off all the models?
Yes, i searched the "model guide" yet it seemed... incomplete and/or biased.
More of what i am looking for is... without popping the hood, what visual signs (cough cough i want pictures) would tell them apart?

Possibly just me but what i am reading out of this is...

Rims
is it a swirlie? its either a RS or GS
is it a 5 spoke star? its either a GS/GST/GSX

rear breaks
is it a drum? its a RS
is it a caliper? it's a GS/GST/GSX

Antenna
is it a whip? it's an RS
is it electrical? its a GS/GST/GSX

Not to bash on any model, but what are the differences between the GS and the GST then? What about the GST and the GSX?

Reading, i know a lot has to do with the year in question... however why not tell readers said year instead of bench racing with neons?

i have read, and may be wrong... but i have read the high rise spoiler only came out in the 97+ facelift. the 17 inch rims i hear everyone talking about i read only came out in that facelift too. So... you have GSX's out there with stock oem 16 inch rims, would this be safe to say? would it be safe to say that a GSX out there (with X model year) came out with the 3 piece spoiler?

Only thing not really mentioned so far is the side skirts. did any of the GS's have them?

What i am getting at is this.
Let's just say that you are at a mall or something and you see another DSM chilling there. As a true DSMer you have curiosity and normally want to check it out right? No owner in sight, they are too busy working or shopping or what have you. interested to see what they have, yet the car is de-badged... how to tell what model it is just by appearance.

Swirlie rims? No, its 5 star. drum brakes in the rear? no, it's disc. whip antenna? no, it's electric. side skirts? no, its naked. wing? no, its 3 peice spoiler.
Peeking inside... stickshift. gauge cluster, GST/GSX version. So would this car in question be a GST? any possible way to make sure it isn't a GSX?

Well the 95-96 GS, GST, and GSX from the outside look identical. Except that the GST and GSX had the 16" swirles. I believe sometime in 98 or 99, Mitsubishi came out with the OZ 20th aniversery edition GS. They added the high rise spoiler. So again it looked like the turbo models. However, this model GS had special OZ edition wheels. The GST had the 16" 5 spokes. The GSX had the 17" 5 spokes that looked like the Enkei PF01's. If it was me, and I ran across an Eclipse in a parking lot, and wasn't really sure if it was a turbo or NA. I'd take a look at the gauge cluster. The turbo models have a boost and oil temp gauge on the left, and a gas and temp gauge on the right. The NA models only have a temp gauge to the left and a fuel gauge to the right.
Without actually looking under the hood, for me this is the easiest way.

So would this car in question be a GST? any possible way to make sure it isn't a GSX?

Like he stated, the awds came with 17" wheels near the end of the model run. So that could be an indicator.

Without actually peeking and checking out their undercarriage for the driveshaft, it would be hard to tell.

If their front tires are bald and it's a turbo model, it's probably a fwd :p

i mentioned the turbo gauge cluster above.
as for the 17 in enkie look-a-likes, i thought those come later only on gsx (98-99). although earlier models gsx came with the same 5 spokes that the GST came with.

From Wikipedia
"RS - Tachometer, 14-inch alloy wheels, optional spoiler
GS - Power antenna, driving lights, cruise control, body coloured door handles, 15-inch alloy wheels (95-96 models), 16-inch alloy wheels (97-99 models), lower body cladding, spoiler, rear windshield washer
GS-T - 16" Alloy 5 spoke wheels, Grey painted panel around lower body paneling (1995–96), "low rise" spoiler (95-96), "high rise" spoiler (1997–99), double tipped stainless steel exhaust
GSX - 17-inch wheels after 1997, 1995–96 cars had 16-inch alloys, Grey painted panel around lower body paneling (1995–96), double tipped stainless steel exhaust, "low rise" spoiler(95-96), larger spoiler (1997–99), vented rear rotors (early 95) with dual piston front calipers."

Edmends Mitsubishi Eclipse History
"All Eclipses got a new front fascia for 1997 with a deeper air dam and projector-style foglamps. There were also new rear spoilers for the GS-T and GSX and the GSX's wheel diameter went from 16 to 17 inches."

which leaves me with only two things to go on... 1: are there fog lights. yes
2: why are the side skirts missing? could possibly be owner preference and just taken them off?
But without knowing, what else to look for, it makes it hard for me to tell what i'm potentially getting involved with. (it's for sale)

Without actually peeking and checking out their undercarriage for the driveshaft, it would be hard to tell.

This is where pictures come in handy LOL. coming from the na world... what am i looking at/for in the undercarriage that i could possibly see laying down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some RS's didn't come with a tach.
At the dealer, you could have had some options added to a RS. Such as power windows, moon roof, etc. RS also didn't come with a stock alarm, or cruise.

I once found a stock 1998 GST that didn't come with the stock side skirts.

Some RS's didn't come with a tach.
Those weren't RSs, they were the sub-base model Mitsu did for the 96.5 year to keep the base price below a certain point (I think it was !5k or 16k). They were stripped down RSs, and had no trunk release, tach, spoiler option, etc.

I have a sales brochure from '95. It covers most of the options. I'll dig it out when I get home.

I want to REVIVE this thread for not only myself, but to correct and enlighten anyone else who may run ac ross this page (via google search). Yes i did search, however 90% of the results are ill informed GSX'ers that only "know" leather was "only an option in the gst and not offered in rs/gs"..

The OZ Rally had leather so its not only in GSX/GSTs

I would still love to see a photo of the undercarriage showing the transfer case and/or other AWD components. Google search in google images shows me everything but what it looks like installed LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back