The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Did I just buy another bad brand new OEM TOB?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipstream808

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 2, 2005
State College, Pennsylvania
OK, so I've never noticed this about throw out bearings, but is the bearing supposed to move? Now here is what I mean:

Staring down at the top of a TOB out of the car and in your hand, you can see the bearing. It rotates like it should, but should it also move around up down left right as well? The bearing itself was off-center. I've taken the other one I had apart and it went into four pieces. The metal casing with the four tabs, the metal backing plate, the teflon section, and the bearing itself. Like last time, it was all fine, but the bearing itself was actually moving around on the teflon plate. I tried to get it back together but was largely unsuccessful in placing the bearing in the center of the teflon plate. It was always off to the side (as it was striaght out of the box).

I dunno. Both were brand new NSK OEM throw out bearings. And I've never paid attention to this before. Thanks, guys.

The bearing should be centered on the teflon race. If it is off center, it is junk and will eventually make everything it comes into contact with junk also.

Well, I was able to re-center it. But I'm guessing it's shot as it still moves around (by pushing it)?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back