The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved OEM TOB part number

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsid

Supporting VIP
Apr 26, 2006
Calgary, AB_Canada
I am installing a new clutch and I bought a new OEM TOB and fork. When I compared the new TOB (Part number MD749998) it looks different from the one that is on the car. The new one does not have the groove for the clip and is smaller by about 1/4"(See the pictures on how the new one looks mounted on the transmission shaft) . It looks ok but I would prefer to use the older style as they seem to be much stronger and the clip is well seated inside a groove .
Is the "old style" TOB available and if so what is its part number?

Attachments

• DSC01201.JPG
    DSC01201.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC01202.JPG
    DSC01202.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC01203.JPG
    DSC01203.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC01204.JPG
    DSC01204.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 77
MD719925. It has been superseded by the part number you received and, IMO, you're unlikely to find an older style one.

MD719925. It has been superseded by the part number you received and, IMO, you're unlikely to find an older style one.

Thanks for the information. The old style is really a better design but in the times of cost cutting, it is not a surprise that the newer ones are what they are. I just hope it will last as long as the old one.

I have found the original TOB at The Part Source here in town! The actual part is made by NSK Japan under part number 48TKA3201. It has the groove for the clip and I will use it instead of the new OEM one.
If anyone is looking for this part it is Federal Mogul part number 614126 as per pictures below.

Attachments

• DSC01206.JPG
    DSC01206.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC01207.JPG
    DSC01207.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 86
Does that have the plastic sleeve inside? If it doesn't I wouldn't use it. The pics you show looked like your old one is the metal sleeve style. Those like to chew up the shaft they ride on. Bad deal as that is actually part of the bellhousing.

Does that have the plastic sleeve inside? If it doesn't I wouldn't use it. The pics you show looked like your old one is the metal sleeve style. Those like to chew up the shaft they ride on. Bad deal as that is actually part of the bellhousing.

Your comment about the sleeve is quite interesting.
No , the Federal Mogul one does not have the plastic sleeve but my original one does not have that sleeve either. I checked the shaft the TOB rides on and it is in mint condition. I am not sure why it would damage it if it is installed and lubed properly.
I would like to know more about this because the it seems that the old TOB with the groove for the return clip is a better design. I do not think that the TOB will put a high bending load on the shaft because it is not a tight fit and as long as the proper lubricant is used I believe it will work fine. I have seen a case in this forum where someone has that shaft broken but I am not sure why it happened. If you know of anyone in this forum who has experienced that type of failure, I would like to contact them and ask for more information.
I do have the newer TOB but its sleeve is not really plastic. It looks like it is some type of graphite which I agree is great for sliding on the shaft.

Last edited:

I have read one of the threads you listed when I was doing research on the clutch. I also have read all these threads you listed and some other ones that I found but none of the threads can specifically link the problems to the TOB. The one thing I found is that most of the problems where with the 2G AWD that had the steel sleeve on the shaft on which the throttle body rides. As I mentioned before, the original TOB on my transmission was the one without the plastic. When I removed the transmission, the fork and TOB were almost completely covered with crap and yet everything was still working fine. There is almost no scuff or marks on the shaft and that makes me believe that the issue about the non plastic lined TOB is not backed up by evidence.
I am going to try to find more information that will hopefully clarify this issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back