The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Did a boost leak test last night...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatshack

15+ Year Contributor
May 19, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
Well my car has had this strange steam-whistle sound. (you can hear it when it boosts here: http://www.beatshack.com/exhaustvid.avi )

After finally getting off my ass I did a boost leak test, and found a massive boost leak right at the turbo outlet gasket. Couldn't even pressurize the intake system to 1 psi using a bike pump. I used gasket maker as a temporary fix, and seriously the car feels like a new car. I'm now hitting 10psi at 2500 rpm instead of 3500 rpm in a 3rd gear pull. Also between shifts it hits 10psi again very quickly where as before it would take a few seconds... my turbo has been working double-time just to get me up to boost (poor turbo).

So to everyone who hasn't done a boost leak test yet, just do one, its worth it. :thumb:

Question is, how much were you able to pressurize the system after you fix that leak? My guess is you didn't retest........ if only it was that easy. OMG

Up to 15 psi, but it did slowly fall.. but slowly enough that I couldn't audibly hear any leaks. Even if there is leaks, hitting 17 psi at 3000 rpm is pretty good :)

beatshack said:
Even if there is leaks, hitting 17 psi at 3000 rpm is pretty good :)
Poor turbo. :toobad:

Up to 15 psi, but it did slowly fall.. but slowly enough that I couldn't audibly hear any leaks.
Not bad for a bike pump as long as those numbers aren't inflated. Since you're boosting 17psi, I would go back and test the system up to 20psi, this time use soapy water.

hahah yeah poor turbo.. good thing 14b's are very easy to come by and cheap around here. I'll upgrade to an evo3 16g when i blow this one, so i can finally install my fuel upgrades.

p.s. i did use soapy water in the previous tests, but only on areas where i could hear hiss.. i also recently backed down the boost to 15psi.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back