The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Damn you maintenence

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nek

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So during the fall, i started getting extremely high heats. I narrowed it down to my hg....
Now the cool thing about the hg, is when you are replacing it, you might as well replace everything else!!!
Now Im poor as shit, and trying to get my budget build together consisting of a head up gasket kit, arp headstuds, and a new timing belt.
Buuuuutt whats the point on only doing that when every other component of your timing belt can still fail. So then you have to do the other serpentine belts, tensioners, pullies, waterpump, and you get an awesome price that I cant afford....
So in all seriousness.... can i get away with just my gaskets headstuds and timing belt with a least some success or is that just a terrible idea..?
Car has less then 105k and timing belt has already been replaced before.
I know most of the answers are going to be opinions because you dont know the condition of my parts but I'm stuck against the wall just looking for some input. How often do belt fail because of other components besides the old timing belt?

Outside of the motor, you really only need to replace the belt but do the hydraulic tensioner too. I know people will come and say that you should change all of the timing components and you really should but if you are going to have to "half ass" it, at least replace the tensioner.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the water pump unless it hasn't been changed out by your knowledge. You can change the serpentine belts at any time.

yes, you just replace the timing belt and the Belt Tensioner, check the balance shaft belt as well, and if it looks crack then change it while is open room, water pump you can change it later when you get some $$$ and some time it does not need to be replace an less is leaking.

why get by with the minimum? if you spend the money while your in there, it will save you from even bigger headaches in the future..

i suggest doing what you can to get what you need now!

why get by with the minimum? if you spend the money while your in there, it will save you from even bigger headaches in the future..

i suggest doing what you can to get what you need now!

I believe thats a good suggestion, but as I said, Im poor. This is my last semester of college as a mech e and my goal is to get my car back on the road in time to drive to work. Im not talkin, okay I have 3 grand in the bank poor. Im talking 300 dollars plus no income till summer poor. Anything that costs extra, Ill have to borrow money and I hate doing that.

If thats the case then I would just replace the belt and the tensioner. Water pumps dont normally just "go bad" and even a bad water pump will still flow. Id say replace the belt and tensioner, OEM headgasket and maybe even OEM bolts if you are really hurting. You can bite the labor bullet and do the rest later on down the road like the front case.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back