The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Cruise Control is Faulty

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
My cruise control doesn't work as intended. The on/off switch works, and I can set my speed and the light in the cluster comes on. But when I lift my foot off the pedal, the car slows down because the cruise control didn't actually engage. I've looked through the service manual and that symptom isn't listed in the troubleshooting procedures. Fuse looks good, vacuum line looks good, connectors and cables are fine. Anyone have any thoughts?

Check the vac line again. It gets loose on the end and leaks. Simple fix is to cut an inch off and reattach. If that isnt it we will continue to diagnose.

Also check the clutch pedal rubber stopper on the cruise disable switch. Mine fell out and the resulting hole made the clutch switch engage disabling the cruise.
There's also a way to read cruise diagnostic trouble codes.

Check the vac line again. It gets loose on the end and leaks. Simple fix is to cut an inch off and reattach. If that isnt it we will continue to diagnose.

Will do and I'll report back.

Also check the clutch pedal rubber stopper on the cruise disable switch. Mine fell out and the resulting hole made the clutch switch engage disabling the cruise.
There's also a way to read cruise diagnostic trouble codes.

Sadly my gsx is automatic (for now), is there an equivalent switch? I really don't think I can read cruise related DTCs with my scanner. Would there be a specific code? My scanner has read zero codes since replacing my o2 sensor and I have it plugged in often for live data. It always runs through trouble codes before letting me go to other screens.

Will do and I'll report back.

Sadly my gsx is automatic (for now), is there an equivalent switch? I really don't think I can read cruise related DTCs with my scanner. Would there be a specific code? My scanner has read zero codes since replacing my o2 sensor and I have it plugged in often for live data. It always runs through trouble codes before letting me go to other screens.

I believe there is a switch at the top of the brake pedal also.

Yes, one section of the brake switch is used to disable cruise so if you had that section faulty...
Many scanners can't read cruise codes as they don't access pin 13. However you can read them with a voltmeter (analog one is best) on the diagnostic port. Procedure is described on page 17-18 of the 97-99ECB.pdf DSM Backup Manual (I've done it).

Last edited:
Old post, but did you end up finding the issue? My cruise control worked when I bought the car and stopped working when I pulled the TB out. I have a hunch that I have damaged the vacuum lines.. Just wanted to see if you were able to get your issue resolved.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back