The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Cosmetic 85.5mm bore MLS on stock block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heres pics sorry for the size...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

By onefast2gdsm at 2011-03-28

Did they belt sand that??? 2nd picture from the bottom look terrible! I would not use a metal gasket on that surface.

Yeah well he pretty much ####ed me out of 196 dollars never again will i be going there, he didn't even seem like he wanted to help me when I was asking questions. Now I either have to find a new head and spend more money getting that done or see if ucf can fix the #### up

Have them properly fix it for free. There shouldn't be scratches in it and those edges should be shaved from the over hangs. I would also get it checked for flatness again.

Ill be going up there with my father in law that builds street rods for a living and giving. Justin a piece if my mind, upon further inspection there's so much wrong I don't see how he can even tell me its good to put in a MLS gasket. Every other head up there looks brand new and I get this back.

Those scratches are so deep I think it would take too much off the head to fix it.

Those scratches don't look like they would be caused by the typical install/remove over stud errors people commonly make.

It really looks like the head was dragged across a work bench or something, like the shop just didn't give a damn.

It'll probably work OK, but i would never bring another item to that shop. I drive about 4 hours round trip to the only shop around here that i will let do my machine work. Finding a great machine shop isn't easy but sometimes you've got to put some time into it.

He said they took 20 off the head do you think the scratches will be able to get fixed?

No, that gouge looks too deep.

.020 is a lot to take off for a basic resurface job. Either there were more scratches and they went that far to take those scratches out and stopped when the ones remaining were not near the combustion chamber, or the head was warped (unlikely unless the car was overheated).

A typical resurface requires .005-.010 removed. .020 means the surface had excessive imperfections (either naturally or shop caused) or the head was warped.

EDIT:

What exactly did you have this shop do? I was so focused on the surface i didn't look at the combustion chamber or valves. It looks like someone had diarrhea in the combustion chaber. What is that crap and why is it there?

I would just save your money and run it as is with a composite gasket. It'll most likely be fine.

The more i look at these pictures the more it looks to me like it was done cleaning the old gasket off with a razor blade.Or it happened when it was on ## work cart when we pulled the cams. It is possibly that they couldnt get them all out.
But the still dont justifie the shoddy workmanship on cleaning the head.

I didn't touch the bottom of the head with a razorblade. I didn't even want to do it on the block but I had no choice on that. either way, they took to much off the head I talked to ucf and they said the max allowed is 18 and they took 20 off. So now I can't even have them tig it and smooth it out because it will take more off.

Sorry to head about your bad experience with that machine shop bro. I have a brand new OEM composite head gasket I can do for $$35 to help you out. Let me know, I can ship it to you asap.

ok i talked to justin. i also got another opinion from UCF.

UCF is telling me you cannot go over 18 thousandths on a 4g63 head or else you will have clearance issues. so if that is true, then my cylinder head is junk

Justin on the other hand is telling me there is wear grooves on the head, and you can go to a certain point on that before the head is junk. he said he will rewash and remill the head if i wish.

my problem is, i dont know who to believe. i dont want to throw a head on my car if theres a chance that with brian crower 272s that a valve is going to slap a piston and end up with more problems. i picked up another head tonight so i always have the option of getting that one prepped to go on my motor. any help appriciated.

iv been using a 85.5mm on my stock bore for 3 yrs with 20psi never had a problem. And i actually switched blocks and used the same HG pushing over 20 psi and still have no problems.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back