The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

completely stock to 12 sec. tell me what I need

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90laserRSfwd

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2007
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Ok so here's the deal for every thread about going 12's I've read I see alot the same and alot different. So here's my list tell me what else I need. Thanks

My weapon of choice:

1990 Plymouth Laser RS
fwd turbo 5 speed
gutted rear interior
removed radio and speakers
spare tire, jack, tool kit, etc.
Bone stock (down to the tall shift knob haha)
143K original miles
I can post some pic's if need be, just ask.

Stuff I'd replaced so far (work in progress)

PCV valve
fuel filter
oil and filter

To do soon:

Transmission fluid
Coolant flush and fill
Brake and clutch flush, fill, and bleed
Blah blah blah (I'm not a real noobie)

The amo:

FMIC (22 x 7 x 2.5")
2 1/2" charge pipes
Turbosmart dual port BOV
MAF Translator and 3" sensor
S/S clutch line and 1/4" longer slave rod
Prothane motor mounts - OEM one's are shot, what a shame ;)
3" turbo back - with test pipe, for track use only of course ;)
o2 dump - again for track use only.
Ported 2g mani with stock upper heat shield (it's all stock)
Genuine EVO III 16g
S/S feed line off cylinder head
Open K&N on inlet of turbo
Hallman Pro MBC (21 psi)
90 Eprom ECU with DSMCHIPS stage 3 chip
Walbro 255 high press pump (12ga. rewired)
FPR and install kit
Boost, oil temp, fuel press. gauges
215/60r14 BFG drag radials on 14" steelies
KYB AGX shocks and Eibach pro kit springs (front only - borrowed from my wrecked AWD)

Waiting for the UPS man:

New PS and Alt/h2o/crank belts
New pads and rotors and rear calipers (needs it bad)
Also s/s braided brake lines by goodridge
Timing belt, BS belt, tensioners, etc.
Crank pulley, washer, bolt, and timing plate

Need to know:

What clutch? (ACT 2100 or 2600, street disc is a must)
Should I get a flywheel or just resurface the stock one?
Should I consider getting an intake that puts the air filter farther away from the engine?

Anything else you guys would reccomend. I'm going over the entire car. It was in storage for about 12 years and somethings need to be done. Oh and I got a helmet, a digital camera, and a need to go to the track, haha. Thanks in advance for the help

I have the following but I'm not ready to open the motor yet:

ARP head studs
Genuine MITSU MLS head gasket
Crower springs and titanium retainers
Ferra s/s 6000 comp. series valves
New valve seals

-Jace :laser:

Should I get a logger and an SAFC or just wait a couple weeks and save for DSMLink? My money tree isn't growing so fast now that I got a DSM. LOL. What would you guys say my car would lay down at the wheels with the stuff listed now, with just being able to do some small tweaks with the translator? I'm hoping for 250fwhp. Is that too high @ 21 psi on an evo 3 16g with 93 oct. pump and my mods?

DSmlink all the way...and yeah look for some 650 or bigger injectors. Just go big on them now and be done with it. Look into a lightweight flywheel for "racing" but I have heard of plenty of people going fast on the resurfaced stocker. What about a LSD, have you thought of that?

Hey man your list looks good. Just get everything you have now installed. Then figure out what you dont have and get it. :thumb:

I was thinking about getting 750's but since the chip is burn't for the stockers I'd have to send it back. I'm still unsure of gettting a logger and an SAFC or just saving the extra $200 or so and going straight to DSMLink, but then my chip would be money wasted, I doubt I'd even get half of what I paid for it if I try to sell it. What do you guys think 450cc's injectors (the stock blue tops) would handle ( I mean handle boost wise on the evo III? 15psi?). I haven't thought of the LSD or upgraded 1/2 shafts yet. I'm still thinking about doing the AWD front shaft swap to help with the torque steer. Not that my car has much power but just to say that it's done for peace of mind you know. Anyway thanks for the help so far I'm going to get ahold of Jeff, since I just got the chip yesterday in the mail and see what, if anything, he would charge me to reburn it for 750cc's. Are 750's over kill? I'm planning on doing 27 psi with meth. injection at the track later on in the next few months, and I don't like to buy things 2 or 3 times you know? I should have just gotten the DSMLink I suppose. Anyway thanks for the reply's so far.

How about some stronger half-shafts, with the radials they are gonna go quick. I know from experience :) looks good otherwise. Good luck

I was thinking maybe throwing in a wideband, egt, and 750's. That pretty much takes care of the power end of things I would hope, at least to go 12's. I'm looking into DSS 1/2 shafts and the Quaife? LSD or the Kaaz unit, but I don't think the later of the 2 is any longer available. What do you guys think? power ok? focus on suspension and driven train now? what about the clutch and flywheel combo?

I would suggest some stiffer sway bars, im not sure how much they will help in drag racing, but if you ever decided to do anything besides that with it, they are really nice to have, try Suspention Techniques sway bars, I've had them for years and no problems yet.

other than the injectors, lsd, axles, slicks instead, and maybe a safc for fine tuning. What you have above is good, and with good driving I say 12s easily.

this is for daily driven purposes, I think I can run a high 12 with the drag radials right? I didn't really wanna shell out for a set of slicks if I didn't need to. The purpose of this car is to get me established in the DSM game. I want to make 300fwhp and run back to back 12 second passes. Then I'm going to sell the car, get a GSX and start on the goals for that car, (500awhp and back to back 11 sec. passes). Thanks for the help, I'm looking into somethings as far as suspension goes. As for slicks I'll think about that for the GSX.

this is for daily driven purposes, I think I can run a high 12 with the drag radials right? I didn't really wanna shell out for a set of slicks if I didn't need to. The purpose of this car is to get me established in the DSM game. I want to make 300fwhp and run back to back 12 second passes. Then I'm going to sell the car, get a GSX and start on the goals for that car, (500awhp and back to back 11 sec. passes). Thanks for the help, I'm looking into somethings as far as suspension goes. As for slicks I'll think about that for the GSX.

Look on my vehicle profile, Im working on a budget also but pretty much the set up I have, plus the parts on my wish list that I will have soon would work well for your goals, and kind of is in the direction your heading with that thing.
I have not yet tracked this thing though so I dont know what times it runs
and I dont plan to track it till I get my fmic kit.

90laserRSfwd said:
I was thinking about getting 750's but since the chip is burn't for the stockers I'd have to send it back. I'm still unsure of gettting a logger and an SAFC or just saving the extra $200 or so and going straight to DSMLink, but then my chip would be money wasted, I doubt I'd even get half of what I paid for it if I try to sell it. What do you guys think 450cc's injectors (the stock blue tops) would handle ( I mean handle boost wise on the evo III? 15psi?). I haven't thought of the LSD or upgraded 1/2 shafts yet. I'm still thinking about doing the AWD front shaft swap to help with the torque steer. Not that my car has much power but just to say that it's done for peace of mind you know. Anyway thanks for the help so far I'm going to get ahold of Jeff, since I just got the chip yesterday in the mail and see what, if anything, he would charge me to reburn it for 750cc's. Are 750's over kill? I'm planning on doing 27 psi with meth. injection at the track later on in the next few months, and I don't like to buy things 2 or 3 times you know? I should have just gotten the DSMLink I suppose. Anyway thanks for the reply's so far.

With a rewired upgraded fuel pump you could run 15lbs on the evo3 on 450s and better yet if you bumped up fuel pressure at the regulator.. Do i recommend it.. No, especially without a fmic, besides youd be near 100% idcs or more which is not good. Just do it right and get the chip reprogrammed for bigger injectors, and since you have a chip to control fuel, dont do like these safc tuners do and get something small ( since they cant control big injectors ) Use your advantage with the chip and get you some 850s or bigger like I did for virtually the same price... www.fuelinjectorclinic.com.

90laserRSfwd said:
Should I get a logger and an SAFC or just wait a couple weeks and save for DSMLink? My money tree isn't growing so fast now that I got a DSM. LOL. What would you guys say my car would lay down at the wheels with the stuff listed now, with just being able to do some small tweaks with the translator? I'm hoping for 250fwhp. Is that too high @ 21 psi on an evo 3 16g with 93 oct. pump and my mods?

And we cant bench race, but if you have your set up done and your running 21psi on the evo3 and your not making well over 300whp then something is wrong with your car...

http://www.vfaq.net/DSM/mods/10faq.html

I'm going to get an SAFC and a logger this weekend, as well as the FPR. Any suggestions on a good wideband that isn't a 2 1/16" gauge type, minus the LM1 because that thing is a little to bulky for a daily driver, plus how can I be sneaky with a thing like that sitting out? haha. and I still have yet to hear any opinions on the clutch and flywheel or intake setup.

Yes you can run high 12's with the setup your proposing and the use of drag radials. Slicks will help alot but 12.8-12.9's are very possible with good driving.

DSMLink is worth it, especially if you're going for squirters larger than 650s. You can also ditch the display from the LM1 WBO2 and just use one of your unused harness wires (that can read 5v ECU-side) to log the wideband data, with Link. You can also tune DSMLink to fit your setup, instead of having to deal with and work around the shortcomings of a single-burn DSMchips EPROM. The biggest power gain is tuning your car. Not slapping on somebody else's rough archetypal template, and depending on them to update it.

And you can run 21psi all day on 450s... you'll just hit fuel cut, or knock, have your timing pulled, and run slower than if you just set it to 14psi.

Get or make a proper intake. If you've got a filter bolted to the turbo, you're mostly sucking in hot air... through the radiator, and the air surrounding the (very hot) turbo. If you can get it into an airstream (like where the former SMIC sat, if you have short-route FMIC piping), you should see a noticeable gain compared to where it is currently. A few places sell prefabs, but it's just about as easy to get a few mandrel bends of the right sizes and plug them together with silicone couplers.

not to stray from the subject or try and bench race my car or anything like that, but out of couriousity, would anyone have a clue as to whether or not they fell with my proposed set up that I could beat an '06 sti with COBB stage 2 ecu and 3" turbo back exhauast on 19 psi (stock sti turbo, injectors, and pump)??? Maybe I should have asked this but I'm just wondering B/C my neighbor has his car setup just as I described and he's alway's taunting me about how fast his car is and I couldn't beat him on a highway roll from like a 40 punch. NOT THAT I WOULD EVERY ENGAUGE IN ILLEAGAL ACTIVITIES SUCH AS THE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED PROPOSITION ;)

not to stray from the subject or try and bench race my car or anything like that, but out of couriousity, would anyone have a clue as to whether or not they fell with my proposed set up that I could beat an '06 sti with COBB stage 2 ecu and 3" turbo back exhauast on 19 psi (stock sti turbo, injectors, and pump)??? Maybe I should have asked this but I'm just wondering B/C my neighbor has his car setup just as I described and he's alway's taunting me about how fast his car is and I couldn't beat him on a highway roll from like a 40 punch. NOT THAT I WOULD EVERY ENGAUGE IN ILLEAGAL ACTIVITIES SUCH AS THE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED PROPOSITION ;)

You shouldnt be able to beat him because you shouldnt street race :thumb:
Now at the track from a dig, no because your fwd right.... But say you could get out the hole, considering weight differences and supposing your cars running correctly with your current mods.. Then id say possibly depending his cars tune.

That's bench racing. We don't do that here. Threads get locked for bench racing posts like that.
The only way to know is to get your stuff together and act mature... stop talking smack, and take him to the track. Find out for sure and stop blowing hot air. And if you go down, take it with dignity, instead of making excuses. Same thing with winning.. don't wave it in their face, just take it with grace.

If you have a WBO2, street tune to get a rough tune, and then do fine detail on a dyno.

Dyno time isn't exactly cheap most places, and it's not too tough to do the basic stuff, like setting up global deadtime and driving around to test out how the ST/LT fuel trims react, on the street. Do a few pulls, log the data, tune, try again. When you're mostly happy with what you've got, spend an hour hashing out the details of the 'final' tune on the dyno. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back