The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

clutch slips in 1st gear only

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstbuford

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2008
Prairievlle, Louisiana
I tried to launch my car and it just stayed still in 1st gear with the clutch fully disengaged. I immediately got off the gas and pulled to the shoulder. The weird thing is that every other gear pulls strong. Its only 1st gear that has problems. Even from a 10 roll, if I punch it, it doesnt go any where. I have only launched it 3-4 times prior to tonight and didnt have a single problem :confused: I have a brand new clutch and flywheel installed about 2000 miles ago. I broke the clutch in for about 600-700 miles before I started to get on it. During the break in period, there were no launches and an occasional 5th gear pull (only building 6-7 lbs of boost)I need help Im trying to get my car running perfect before the cooler weather hits southern LA. Thanks in advance.

-Stephen

You dont dump the clutch on an AWD you slip it ever so slightly you probably broke something if you revved it and dumped the clutch.

I dont recall saying that I just dumped the clutch. I know how to launch my car. Im just confused on why 1st gear is the only gear that has this problem.

spec stage 2 clutch

other performance mods

-small 16g on 14 lbs

-2.5 inch cat back

-k&n filter

-hard upper intercooler piping

-ACT flywheel

I tried to launch my car and...

-Stephen

you'd be surprised the people that try to dump the clutch at 5000rpms on an awd and NOT expect to break stuff. You said from a 10 roll if you pinch it then it slips but only in first? It sounds like the clutch is toast you see the biggest load in your lower gear this might explain while it slips in first only.

Sate to be the bearer of bad new but Kevlar clutches suck harder than Jenna Haze. I had a buddy that brought one, he broke it in for 1200 miles and it still slipped. Not 100% about that being your problem but i have never heard any good experiences about them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back