The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Clutch rattling when engaging in 1st

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wufei

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Heya,

When my clutch is engaging as I'm starting from a stop in 1st gear, if the RPM's are below 1k it'll make metallic rattling noises. I recently had a guy install the clutch (brand new ACT 2600), flywheel (Fidanza with new flywheel surface), and rebuilt tranny. Is this normal or is something wrong?

Thanks!

I've been reading a few posts about lightened flywheels making noise. Post a search about lightened flywheels and see what you turn up. The ACT 2600 has a whole book on it also. Mostly about difficulty getting into gear and such.

Good Luck

The ACT street discs are "sprung" to make clutch engagement less jerky. Unfortunately, every now and then, one (or more) of the springs becomes loose causing a disturbing sound on engagement. Friend of mine had such a situation several years back on a brand new 2600# w/street disk and it went away on it's own after several weeks.

Then again others have posted of more serious issues.

The sound could also be caused by a worn T/O bearing which should always be replaced when installing a new clutch to be safe :dsm:

It's kind of like a clunking noise. I ordered the 2600 kit from Slowboy around Xmas, and it came with a T/O bearing, just not sure if it's OEM. Did a search a while ago on Fidanza's and couldn't find anything like this, searching again though.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I think it also does it a bit when engaging from 1st to 2nd gear. The sound is coming from the tranny part (in front of passenger side).

My friend took a drive in it today. Right now, we're suspecting either that one of the bolts holding the tranny may be loose, the TOB (from Slowboy, do they give OEM ones?), a spring on the clutch, that the new friction surface didn't have the bolts loctited, or that the new friction surface may be a tiny bit out of spec.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back