The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Clutch Pack Install Help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointblank9957

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 12, 2012
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Any tips on getting the bigger clutch pack (reverse i think) installed? I put them in the tranny, and try to put the basket back in, but it stops about 1/8" from fully seated.. Been trying for a while now. Same amount of friction plates ans steels as factory and soaked in ATF.

I'm not sure about the reverse clutch pack, not sure why anyone would want to upgrade reverse ;)

If you mean the front clutch, I did a tech article about it a while back here:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...ly-front-clutch-pack-replacement-upgrade.html

I think I know what you're talking about, because it took me a few tries of getting the basket back into the trans before it seated all the way. What you need to make sure of, is that the inner teeth of the clutches line up with the splines on the trans side.

I circled what I'm talking about in red:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You need to get the teeth on the inner part of the clutch disks lined up as straight as possible. I used a pick, you can actually see it there in the picture, but you can use a small screw driver or whatever. Just get those teeth lined up so they will slide all the way on the spines and allow the basket to seat all the way into the trans.

I'm not sure about the reverse clutch pack, not sure why anyone would want to upgrade reverse ;)

If you mean the front clutch, I did a tech article about it a while back here:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...ly-front-clutch-pack-replacement-upgrade.html

I think I know what you're talking about, because it took me a few tries of getting the basket back into the trans before it seated all the way. What you need to make sure of, is that the inner teeth of the clutches line up with the splines on the trans side.

I circled what I'm talking about in red:

You need to get the teeth on the inner part of the clutch disks lined up as straight as possible. I used a pick, you can actually see it there in the picture, but you can use a small screw driver or whatever. Just get those teeth lined up so they will slide all the way on the spines and allow the basket to seat all the way into the trans.

Because they came in the rebuild kit so why not use them LOL. The plate that goes between the outer clutch plate (the really thick one) was warped, i just used an extra reverse steel to replace it, works the same

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back