1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Clutch issue's

Posted by Batman272, Apr 13, 2014

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Batman272

Batman272 Proven Member

Joined Jul 14, 2012
    San Marcos, Texas
    Pulled my transmission on my gsx a few days ago and resurfaced the flywheel. Now I'm having clutch problems. I have replaced the master and slave cylinder and bled the clutch multiple times. I watched the jacks transmissions video multiple times along with looking at the Eclipse clutch adjustment part of the 4G63 turbo site and cannot figure this out.

When the car is sitting with the motor off and I have just bled the clutch I have a smooth and nice firm petal but as soon as I turn the car on it will be super soft till about a quarter of the way to the floor and as we know that's not enough to shift out of gear.

When I originally installed the transmission I took her out for a spin and had a great time. When I tried to go to the store it started giving me this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

355  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  2. VtecvrsTurbo

VtecvrsTurbo Proven Member

Joined Oct 25, 2005
    cabot, Arkansas
    Where is the fork located. Refer to this===> http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...clutch-fork-position-new-everything-pics.html

Resurfacing the flywheel most likely caused the fork to change locations. I had to re-adjust mine after a new flywheel install.

Have someone watch the slave operate when you push the clutch, if it works fine you need to shim the fork.

Kinda weird it does it only when the car is running. Check both running and off to make sure (slave operation)

Edit: do you inspect the pivot ball and fork upon install?

3. Batman272

Batman272 Proven Member

Joined Jul 14, 2012
    San Marcos, Texas
    Yeah the fork and pivot ball are new cause it's a new Shep stage 3 transmission. The ball is shimed.

355  0

· 2G DSM
  4. Batman272

Batman272 Proven Member

Joined Jul 14, 2012
    San Marcos, Texas
    yeah I drove the car the other night and it was completely fine. I let the car sit overnight and it seems that something must have happened to it

355  0

· 2G DSM
  5. ricktb

ricktb Proven Member

Joined May 20, 2007
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    I heard when you resurface the flywheel, you have to shave the "step" an equal amount so that the pressure plate mounts at a precise distance from the flywheel surface. Im sure there is a small range of acceptable tolerance, which can be adjusted.

517  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. Batman272

Batman272 Proven Member

Joined Jul 14, 2012
    San Marcos, Texas
    Yes I did two step the flywheel as well cause when I did a pull in the car she dint slip at all.

355  0

· 2G DSM
  7. 97gsxIA

97gsxIA Proven Member

Joined Apr 22, 2011
    Mount Vernon, Iowa
    It doesn't matter if the the clutch and pivot ball are new... Did you check the position of the clutch fork after install? Snap a picture of its position and put it up here.

That aside, 90% of soft pedal issues are from improper bleeding of the slave or improper master cylinder adjustment.
    Did you speed bleed it or have a buddy pump the pedal in turn of you opening and closing the slave cylinder's bleed valve?

3K  10

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.316 @ 131.63 · 2G DSM
  8. Batman272

Batman272 Proven Member

Joined Jul 14, 2012
    San Marcos, Texas
    Yes I bled it the old fashioned way. Pump, pump, pump, pump and hold. Gunn a take a picture in a few.

355  0

· 2G DSM