The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Clutch engages high and slips after adjustment.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommiman

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2004
Vaughan, Ontario_Canada
After having my clutch stick half way and engage off the floor I adjusted it. Now its firm and engages very high. If I try to adjust it to engage half way like it should it goes back to sticking half way and engaging off the floor. I can't seem to adjust it to the mid point level. Also, I noticed it slips off the floor or very high.

I had just replaced the master and rebuilt the slave. Also, I bled the system properly.

Is it time for a new clutch or am I not adjusting properly?

From the sounds of things, it seems like you just need to go back and make some more adjust it some more. Every little bit you turn the "shaft" it makes a huge difference on how the pedal engages.

headrec* said:
From the sounds of things, it seems like you just need to go back and make some more adjust it some more. Every little bit you turn the "shaft" it makes a huge difference on how the pedal engages.

It doesn't seem to want to balance out. I barely turn the master rod and/or cruise switch stop and it'll go to one extreme or the other. I noticed when it's sticking half way the clutch will partially engage until I pull the clutch pedal up all the way with my foot. Then the clutch is fully engaged. The pedal feels very mushy when I engage it in this position. Also, I noticed when it's engaging really high the clutch slips. In this position the clutch feels VERY firm.

The clutch slave cylinder rebuild kit did not have a spring included. It only had the piston and the rubber boot. Could it be the spring has lost tension and is not returning the clutch all the way? I'm also thinking it might be the clutch pedal spring doing this.

I've bled the hell out of the system and I'm certain there is no air in the system. I am not losing fluid either. It can't be crankwalk because the pedal doesn't feel mushy only on left turns. Also, there is no audible clicking noise coming from the engine when I push the clutch to the floor. I doubt it can be the fork and bearings because when I push the clutch in when the car is off these is no noise.

After doing a clutch job my mechanic couldn't figure out why the clutch would not release.
The car was at the mechanic for four days. The tranny was dropped 7 times.

Turns out the fork ball stud had to be shimmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back