The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Closest equivelant to a 16g in garret/other format (looking t3 flange)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm kind of in the same ball park as you. I've got a Turbonetics T3 manifold with a 16g. It sucks because I have to use this:16g td05 to t3 conversion turbine manifold header exhaust turbo flange adaptor | eBay

Because I'm using that thing, my oil return line is terrible. I wish I could just cut the old flange off the turbo and weld on a new T3 flange back onto the turbo so I could keep my current manifold.

Use this one instead: DSM 1g/2g mitsubishi turbo flange adapter to T3 T3/T4 | eBay

Or just run the T3 td05 turbine housing.

There comes a point in time where someone building a hot rod needs to come to the realization that "tight budget" and "performance" are antagonistic towards each other, and putting the same in one sentence is an oxymoron.
Point taken; this is an expensive hobby. But that still doesn't change the fact that they OP is only looking for recommendations for cheap 16g power. There are affordable options for this, and ball bearing is not it.

Point taken; this is an expensive hobby. But that still doesn't change the fact that they OP is only looking for recommendations for cheap 16g power. There are affordable options for this, and ball bearing is not it.

Affordable over time, since ball bearing units are more robust than their journal bearing counterparts (since they don't wear like the brass bearings). Better spool, stronger CHRA (provided you maintain lube / coolant flow), spend a little more now, get a turbo that lasts you farther into the future.

Personally, I'd rather save up, and not settle on something just to "hold me over".

Affordable over time, since ball bearing units are more robust than their journal bearing counterparts (since they don't wear like the brass bearings). Better spool, stronger CHRA (provided you maintain lube / coolant flow), spend a little more now, get a turbo that lasts you farther into the future.
...but they have a "zero tolerance" for oil contamination, and cost roughly three times that of a comparable journal bearing turbo to repair in the event of a problem...including turbine wheel damage.

This is bad for daily drivers- especially with the majority of the population being unable to identify internal engine noises like rod knock until there's hardly any rod bearing left.

...but they have a "zero tolerance" for oil contamination, and cost roughly three times that of a comparable journal bearing turbo to repair in the event of a problem...including turbine wheel damage.

This is bad for daily drivers- especially with the majority of the population being unable to identify internal engine noises like rod knock until there's hardly any rod bearing left.

I've been running my GT35R for almost 3 years now with no problems. Maintenance is a no brainer (pre filter). You're speculating on hypotheticals that can be negated with proper precaution.

I've been running my GT35R for almost 3 years now with no problems. Maintenance is a no brainer (pre filter). You're speculating on hypotheticals that can be negated with proper precaution.
I recall reading another response where a guy was running a Chinese 35R with no wastegate for two years or more as well. Individual results are not applicable to the majority.

Trust me- I get 16G's and other popular journal bearing turbos in to be serviced on a regular basis which show damage that is 100% caused by oil contamination, and the owner doesn't even know there's a problem. The difference being a 16G damaged by oil contamination can be repaired for under $200 compared to a new 30R or 35R CHRA at $800+.

Hypothetically, I wouldn't need to repair a single turbo if everyone practiced proper maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, when i say tight budget i mean because i'm disabled with no real steady income other than my skills of car/motorcycle repair and metal fab which comes in spurts and goes just as fast so i have to spend cash wisely.

Im alreayd running a PTE67mm turbo that's good for over 750hp, i just don't need that, adn i WANT to PLAY with something small for a while which is another reason for budget, since it's not NEEDED only a WANT i don't want to expend a large part of my budget on it to get one

thanks for eveyronesinput i appreciate it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back