The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Check out my sweet hood struts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlanZero

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2013
Easton, Pennsylvania
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

These are hood struts for a Chrysler 300 or challenger. Cost $18 shipped from eBay and have a 3 year warranty (brand- Wisconsin automotive supply).
I bought a pack of ball studs off amazon 10mm (3/8) ball, m6 1.0 pitch to match the stock bolt size.
Drilled and tapped one hole on each hood hinge, used a lock washer and bam. Much cheaper than the kits.

Last edited:
I put them on a couple days ago, and I've been deliberately leaving my hood open while I'm at home to see if the sag. These are designed for a Chrysler 300 which has a heavier hood and mounts in almost the same locations. Closes perfectly.

That looks clean and doesn't take up a lot of space like some kits do. I've considered trying 03-07 Accord hood struts on my 2G, they have an L bracket on one end and might bolt up directly. Your idea looks more cost effective though, $18 is not bad at all.

I considered the accord struts, but I didn't want to take a chance on the brackets.
I just took a chance on these http://m.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Front-H...m-Charger-Challenger-/141944932733?nav=SEARCH
since I wasn't sure about fitment, but I know strongarm also makes them albeit a little more expensive, or you can find them on rock auto. Some brands come with ball studs but most are m8 or m10 which would require tapping the fender bolt hole a little bigger and having to make a bigger hole in the hinge which I wasn't comfortable with. The only problem was the fact that the 10mm ball, m6 1.0 ball studs are a little hard to find, so I wound up having to pay $15 for a 6 pack on amazon. I plan on putting a heftier washer on the fender mounting point.

Last edited:
Thanks. Just took some time on eBay finding the proper length struts. Be forwarned, however, because you have to really open the hood to get them to fit initially, like to the point you feel like your going to hyperextend the hinge. Without the hood prop my hood is now about 1.5" more open. I believe the hood struts for a BMW E series are about .5" shorter, but they're more expensive. I was worried these wouldn't fit at first.
Side benefit, I had a hood hinge rattle which is now gone.

Thanks for such a great idea! I just ordered mines with your link,now I have to order the other piece from amazon. Do you have a link for that as well? Again great job my friend!
I considered the accord struts, but I didn't want to take a chance on the brackets.
I just took a chance on these http://m.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Front-H...m-Charger-Challenger-/141944932733?nav=SEARCH
since I wasn't sure about fitment, but I know strongarm also makes them albeit a little more expensive, or you can find them on rock auto. Some brands come with ball studs but most are m8 or m10 which would require tapping the fender bolt hole a little bigger and having to make a bigger hole in the hinge which I wasn't comfortable with. The only problem was the fact that the 10mm ball, m6 1.0 ball studs are a little hard to find, so I wound up having to pay $15 for a 6 pack on amazon. I plan on putting a heftier washer on the fender mounting point.
I need to replace the rears as well

Link for ball studs
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004711K9I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1464618963&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=10mm ball stud m6&dpPl=1&dpID=51EzknmvV7L&ref=plSrch
As you can see the studs i got are kind of long. I chose to tap the hole through the hinge and hood for extra support (actually the bit just punched through the hood by accident, but it works well) You may choose to just cut the length a bit if you're anal about your hood, or try to trim it and fit a nut behind the hinge.

you can also see the failed attempt on the first mounting hole in the first pic. You must mount the strut at the point I did so it can properly support the hood! Any lower and it won't work.

Last edited:

Link for ball studs
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004711K9I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1464618963&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=10mm ball stud m6&dpPl=1&dpID=51EzknmvV7L&ref=plSrch
As you can see the studs i got are kind of long. I chose to tap the hole through the hinge and hood for extra support (actually the bit just punched through the hood by accident, but it works well) You may choose to just cut the length a bit if you're anal about your hood, or try to trim it and fit a nut behind the hinge.

you can also see the failed attempt on the first mounting hole in the first pic. You must mount the strut at the point I did so it can properly support the hood! Any lower and it won't work.
Thanks for the link just see that you edited! Just ordered these you're the man!

This looks great! Thanks for sharing. They still holding up just fine? I'll have to look into this :)

Link for ball studs

what size bit and tap did you use to make the hole in the hinge?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back