The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink CEL Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaakob

Probationary Member
May 28, 2022
Augusta, Maine
Hi everyone, I just recently bought my first DSM. I am inexperienced when it comes to DSM's and even more so with ECMLink so I apologize if I say or sound stupid. Recently I started having an issue with the CEL coming on when I start to go WOT. Seems to be happening around 65% throttle. From what I've been told by the PO, the tune is supposed to kick on the CEL for the duration that the ecu detects knock. I have included a log below when the CEL comes on (towards the end). The log goes kinda insane and i'm not sure if thats normal or not.

My question mainly is, how do I remedy this situation? Is it something where I can just have the car retuned and it will be fixed? Or is it a mechanical issue or early signs of engine failure?

I appreciate any information and look forward to the responses! Thanks

Attachments

• log.2022.06.05-04.elg
    28.9 KB · Views: 17
I glanced at your log. Are you running almost 30 lbs of boost? BoostEst shows 27 and you are correct, the ECU is pulling timing after about 20 lbs of boost.
I would guess you are on the best GAS that you can get but the timing map is just too aggressive for it. The knock sensor is pulling a little over 5* of timing OUT to keep the engine from "pinging/knocking". You can change the timing tables to something a bit lower and test drive to see how it reacts, or, even easier, go into the timing tab and just pull 5* out from 5000rpm to redline.

I did a screenshot for you so you can see how I would test by using, what we call, "the sliders". That should quelch knock but it will also make the car slower because it can't use all of the timing being asked.

Is this car set up to run on E85? The timing map would suggest it. I can only run about 5* MAX timing on my gas cars, the E85 cars I can run up to 14-16* but Ethanol won't show "knock" until it is too late (it takes a lot to make knock with E, but by the time you notice it, it is usually too late and bad things have happened).

I'm no tuner, but I do build these motors, so I can tune good enough to get them on the road.
Start your car and start a log then click on the bottom box that says ECU CONFIG (log). There, you will find the timing tab for quick adjustments that are not going to be permanent with the sliders. If the adjustments help, you can make them permanent in the direct access tab, under TimingMaxOct.

And WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! Glad to have you, there are a lot of very nice members on here that like to help out. Help us out by filling out a Vehicle Profile HERE, that way WE know what YOU know and don't have to ask again and again. :thumb:
Marty

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Interesting! I honestly didnt even consider that. I was told it was tuned at 23psi on 93 and I genuinely just never questioned it further. I cant imagine anyone has touched the boost controller and I know I certainly haven’t.

Being that its not tuned on E85, would it be better to just crank the manual boost controller down and see how it responds? Or just drop the timing? Or both?

The PO had the car “tuned” by his friend so I was just thinking about getting someone credible to just retune it remotely.

I really appreciate the information! I will be doing a vehicle profile very soon!

Sure you can pull some of the timing out of it. The "slider" method is easy and if you would turn the boost down, it will help also. Keep us updated and we can try to help you LEARN and UNDERSTAND what you are doing, which will make you feel like a "pro" if you can do minor adjustments to your own car.

Sure you can pull some of the timing out of it. The "slider" method is easy and if you would turn the boost down, it will help also. Keep us updated and we can try to help you LEARN and UNDERSTAND what you are doing, which will make you feel like a "pro" if you can do minor adjustments to your own car.
Awesome! I really appreciate the help! I will try that tomorrow morning and report back!

http://www.ecmtuning.com/demos.php take a look at these videos and demos!
Awesome thank you! Ill take a look at them this weekend!

I did some playing with the timing today and pulled 6* gradually, ended up backing the manual boost controller out a full turn as well. Car seems to be running much better with very little knockret. I think i saw about .4 at max. I appreciate all of the help!

Glad to see you are catching on :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back