The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Car Overheated / Overheating / Overheats [MERGED]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTRCOOL

Probationary Member
Apr 10, 2002
Richmond_Va.
OVERHEATING? The issues and their solutions have remained the same- either you don't have enough cool air reaching the rad, there's a cooling system obstruction which is preventing coolant from circulating, or your head gasket has failed and is allowing coolant to be consumed or pushed away from the engine.

Discuss all possible overheating problems and solutions here.

OK,
I just left my house to go over to my GF's,and happen to look down and see my needle right before the red mark. This just happened out of nowhere. I stop the car as quickly as i can, and pour in some coolant(Coolant a little low). Still same thing. Welp im in the middle of the road, and HAD to get it home. Im only 5 min from my house. I decided to try and make it(I really had no other choice). Welp I drive no faster than 20mph, and the temp needle is BARELY into the red the whole way.And occasionaly to the left of it. Am I ok?? Do ya think any damage was done?? And im thinking either thermostat, or water pump. For each of those, whats a round about $$ figure to get replaced?? Any info you have would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
i got a 92 eclipse 1.8. when i get on the freeway aafter a while my oil pressure drops. shortly after my car starts to overheat. is this caused by a bad or failing oil pump. please e-mail me an let me know. i live in northern ga. got to go to miami soon.:cry:

your worried, i liver in baltimore and igotta drive down to tampa in a few days, ive only had car for a couple weeks, im concenred too.. an engire runs better with cool air.. myabe your workin your engine so hard that its jsut getting to hot and loosing power

My 91 Eagle Talon Turbo AWD is overheating. It will warm up to the proper temp and then stay there for approx 10min before it overheats. I replaced the thermostat, and it has coolant. The mechanic replace the heater bypass hose and then the radiator and radiator cap.
Could the secondary fan (excuse my terminology) not kicking on (don't believe it is) cause the temp to completely overheat? How would I test the sensor for the fan?
Thanks
Chuck

When the temp gauge is past the 12 oclock position does your passenger side fan turn on? If you turn your AC on both fans will then turn on.

So the mechanic worked on it, but couldnt fix it? How much did they charge you for all of this? It seems kinda drastic they would replace the radiator. I had a similar problem on my car and by replacing the radiator cap, it fixed my problem. New radiator fluid and a good flush doesnt hurt also.

Thankx,
Niether fan is engaging, regardless of temp. But when I turn the AC on both fans kick in. I took it back to the shop to again. I will try to get them to put the old radiator and heater bypass hose (that they say "failed") free of charge. Those 2 items alone cost me approx $450 not to mention the $150 in "diagnostics". and this is supposed to be a reputable place!

$450 for diagnostics!? Man.....that's just wrong. A complete tear down of the engine for diagnostics usually runs around $400. But just for the fans? the fact that they didn't fix the problem and charged all that money is wrong. You can change to a different shop and get the real problem fixed. Then go back to them with the reciepts and tell them they should pay you back (parts and labor) If not then to the Better Business Bureau you go....

i had a similar problem a little while ago, it turned out to be a leak in the radiator... but since your's has been replaced that information i just gave is redundant.... anyways.. u say the fans wont go on? maybe the fan switch is fried

here is the deal...

91 tsi awd bone stock
kept leeking coolant a month back with no overheating problems. replace the heater core hose, radiator cap, thermostat, and 1 other hose out the housing. everything seemed good.

a week or so ago i was leaing all over again, but noticed it was comming from the overflow area, but the overflow tank was not full.... ???

tossed in some "stock leak" and filled it back up and was all good till today. car starts to stumble upon starting today and as i drive into town my temp gauge rockets up for the first time. i pull over, look under the car after shutting it off and collant is everywhere again. this time i notice a small hone in the botton of the radiator spraying about and not the overflow tank like i had thought. so as for right now it sits cooling down in town untill i can get some info.

think the thermostat is gone after only a month tops?
would no coolant result in the overheating and maybe the stat is ok?
the hole looks pin sized but was spraying with some good pressure.... toss another bottle of "stop leak" in?

replace the radiator itself (this is an easy job right?)

alos how much coolant/water actually fits in our system? how much of that remain in the block after the car shuts off?

THANKS for the input and i hope i left enough details.

If are planning on modding the crap out of your I would just say to get a nice ALum radiator. They are easy to swap. Take the fans out, remove the radiator hoses and undo the top radiator brackets and pull it out. Ohh don't forget the drain the coolant first.

-Radiator is easy to change, remove the fans(3-4 bolts each), remove the hoses, remove the 2 radiator upper brackets, radiator lift straight up.
the OEM style replacement run $75-150 depend on where you ask, body part supplier/wholesaler is the cheapest that I found. It hold 7.6 qts coolant.

My tempreture gague goes to about halfway, but the coolent boils out of the resivor. Is it a faulty thermostat, and if so, why does the enginetemp not show as higher on the guague?

-Jagr
'91 talon tsi

-If you open the coolant filler cap, you'll see the hole to the over flow bottle is slicely below the neck where the cap seat, might be the seal on the cap is worn allowing coolant to leak throught.

Originally posted by turboholic
-Worn/aged gasket on the coolant refill cap?

agreed, get a new radiator cap.

Originally posted by jagrjones
You are not agreing to anything. He says it's the coolent cap on the resivor, you say it's the cap on the radiator?

-Jagr

read it all again. He is saying the coolant fill cap or the radiator cap.When the seal in them go bad they leak coolant back to the overflow bottle and it comes boiling out from there.Now just go buy a radiator cap and put it on the car.

Originally posted by 90tsiawd
read it all again. He is saying the coolant fill cap or the radiator cap.

-I call it a "coolant filler cap" instead of a "radiator cap" b/c the cap is not physicaly located on the radiator.

The other day my car began to overheat on the way home from Rhode Island. I pulled over to get gas and noticed smoke coming from the engine. I checked the overflow bottle and it was near empty. I then started the car and watched under the car. I observed coolant leaking from somewhere right above the oil filter line, and later on, some came from near the 02 sensor. I then poured a gallon or so of coolant into the radiator (from the radiator cap, not overflow bottle) , started the car, and then the temp needle was normal. Before all of this the needle was jumping up and down as I drove. After I had done that, all was well... UNTIL TODAY! :(

Today I come home after a short drive to the store and my car is smoking, but the temp needle is NORMAL! NO water is coming out of the overflow bottle, but my engine is smoking and I can hear a hissing sound. Coolant is leaking from the same area again (never really fixed that problem- but thought I would be ok to get home from RI, which I was).. Any suggestions or ideas as to what the hell is wrong w/ my car?!

You have a leak somewhere. You can fine and repaor it yourself, or, you can take it to a shop. Either way, make sure it's fixed soon so you don't overheat too much and blow your head gasket.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back