The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Camshaft degree problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gst-turbo

Proven Member
Nov 7, 2012
Petaluma, California
i have been struggling to degree my cam’s they are kelford 272s. I just finished my built long block can’t get it set u correctly. I bought all the tools for it a summit racing degree kit and two solid lifters that are adjustable. I been at it for about a week every day after work with not luck I set my cams at zero lash. My first issue is finding true tdc I have the gauge set up but when I get to tdc I can move the crank a bit more and the gauge dosent move almost like there is a dead spot in the middle with tons of play? Also I can get my pointer set up on the valve spring just keeps falling of and moving. I’m really considering just slapping them on as is at this point appreciate the help in advance

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My first issue is finding true tdc I have the gauge set up but when I get to tdc I can move the crank a bit more and the gauge dosent move almost like there is a dead spot in the middle with tons of play?
That's normal, but to find the true top dead center, you use a piston stop that comes with the summit cam degree kit. Like the one pic below.
Check the link below. Kelford has a good write-up how to find the true top dead center and degree cams.
https://www.kelfordcams.com/global/technical-advice/the-sole-purpose-of-degreeing-your-cam/

Also I can get my pointer set up on the valve spring just keeps falling of and moving. I’m really considering just slapping them on as is at this point appreciate the help in advance
You set the tip of dial indicator on a retainer's flat spot. This is kind of difficult to find a good spot that the tip can stay without slipping. I recommend to use a "L" shape dial indicator tip and do it by taking your time.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have the same cams and cam gears in my engine. I had a difficult time getting everything to line up as well, and then found out there's 2 sets of timing marks. One for DSMs, the other for Evo's. Make sure you use the right set of marks on the gears.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back