The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Brand New alt and battery car still wont charge

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clayton Schultzn

Probationary Member
Jul 15, 2018
LaFontaine, Indiana
So I've installed a new alt and battery on my 91 talon and the car just doesn't seem to want to charge anymore the voltage at the battery is falling while the car is running was wondering what my issue could be because I've checked all the wiring coming from the alternator back to the battery and it all seems to be fine nothing is cracked or exposed nothing is grounding out on anything whats my next step I was thinking maybe the signal to the ecu isn't telling the voltage regulator what to do or maybe something in the ignition is being wonky. let me know what you can come up with all help is appreciated.

On 1gs the ECU doesn't control the alternator. There should be a signal wire for the alternator, it tells it when to charge of the voltage falls to low. Perhaps that wire is broken and not providing a signal.

I dont have a diagram handy, but if you'd watch you should find some diagrams for the stock alternator plug.

I think he's referring to the "sense" wire that goes to the alt-sens fuse. You may also have a bad alt-relay. The alt-relay has a backup circuit in the dash which is the low battery light. If both the light and the alt-relay go bad then you can have charging issues. See my pics:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Put the key to the on position and check the two pins, on the alternator plug, to ground. You should see 12v at both pins. Do that test and let us know.

Did you have that new alternator tested? I have seen several in a row that didn't put out right out of the box.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back